𝟶𝟺. 𝑊ℎ𝑦 𝑑𝑜 𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑐𝑎𝑟𝑒?

Louis hadn't stopped thinking about the curly lad. He knew something was wrong and wanted to help him so bad but the guy just wouldn't let him in.

When he asked Zayn about why Harry was being so distant. Zayn had just answered with that he didn't know and told Louis to forget about it. But still Louis knew Harry needed help. He felt it.

But Harry had started to avoid Louis even more and made it nearly impossible for Louis to make even the slightest bit of small talk.

The avoiding was also the reason Harry got late in the first place. He saw Louis standing at his locker and immediately took a left turn to hide in the bathroom for a little while. When he came out and Louis had left, he had only twenty seconds to put everything into his locker and get to class. Which of course wasn't enough.

"Mister Styles. I will be seeing you after school today. But you already could've guessed that. Please take a seat we're on page 28 of the textbook." Miss Lewis said sweetly.

She was literally always in a good mood and somehow never seemed to be mad. Not even when she told you you got detention. It was more like she felt sorry for having to send you to detention really.

Harry nodded and quickly took a seat. Listening and trying to pay attention instead of falling asleep. Just like the rest of the day.

Harry was the first to arrive at the classroom. Being greeted by the all so positive miss Lewis again. Harry took a seat and it looked like he was the only one having detention today. Thank god.

Little did he know Tomlinson had a habit of always being late for detention.

"There you are!" Miss Lewis exclaimed. "Took you long this time."

"I'm sorry. Liam and I got in a conversation and I nearly forgot but I'm here now. Like always." Louis said smiling.

"Glad it wasn't any trouble."

"Haven't been in that for a while now. I'm trying to keep it that way." He chuckled.

Louis' arrival made Harry want to dig a hole and never come out. Especially when he sat down next to him. He had detention because he avoided the guy in the first place. Now he had to spend god knows how long with him.

To ignore Louis, Harry just stared out of the window in the hope that Louis would take the hint and leave him alone. Boy was he wrong.

"Why are you always so distant?" Louis asked suddenly breaking the tensed silence.

Louis didn't look at Harry. Not at all. He stared at his hands afraid that answer might be that Louis was just an annoying parasite that he tried to get rid off.

But when Louis looks up he sees Harry look like he's about to cry. He breaths slowly but deep and his eyes are teary, looking down at his hands. The second he notices Louis stare he turns away.

'Never show you're hurt.' Those were the words repeating in Harry's mind. But the tears on his cheeks told another story. The happy guy was breaking down and not in his safe bedroom. No at school. With the one person who had to be convinced he was okay. Even if he wasn't.

"Are you okay?" Louis asked again. Making Harry even more frustrated. Now not only with himself but with Louis as well.

"Can you stop asking that?!" He snapped, but his voice started to tremble and his confidence was nowhere to be found. "Please just-"

"It's okay. I'm here for you." He softly puts his hand on Harry's back for comfort.

"Why are you being nice to me? What do you want from me?" Harry can't help it but doubt his intentions. Nobody does something without getting something in return.

Louis pulls his hand back and gulps at the question. He doesn't get why Harry would think that.

"I don't want anything from you. I just noticed that you've been avoiding me lately and I don't know what I did wrong but you seem like you could use somebody." His words were honest and Harry could hear it in his voice. There was no hesitation. He cared?...

"Why? Why do you care?"

"Because everybody needs someone sometimes and I know you have your friends but-" Louis started but got interrupted.

"I don't" Harry says confusing Louis.

"I don't have friends. I sit with them. I talk to them. Thats all." He explains with a sigh.

"Why are you always so distant?" Louis tries again. Hoping Harry will answer this time.

"I guess I kinda grew into that. Everybody sees the happy guy walking around like a ray of sunshine but nobody really knows me. And nobody really cares. It's just the way this world is. Everybody thinks about themselves and nobody gives a shit about others or their feelings. It's a hard and cruel world we live in and I've become used to it."

Harry says it like it's nothing but in fact Louis just heard him say nobody will ever care. Harry has trust issues...

"So again. What are your reasons for asking me if I'm okay. Because by now it's quite obvious I'm not."

"I guess I was interested and wanted to know if maybe I could help you." Louis says softly trying to think of the reason why he was so invested in Harry's mental health.

"-So you could make yourself feel good by helping me." Harry's voice us soft but his words hit hard. It makes Louis feel like shit for caring. Caring about someone who doesn't want people to care.

"Why are you so sure I don't care about your feelings?"

"Cause nobody does. Some make it seem like they do but everyone turns their back at you at some point." Harry sounds like it's the most logical thing in the world. Cause to him it is. It's crystal clear. It always had been like that.

But Harry had never known love except for the love he had for his brother. But like said. That's a brotherly love.

His words made Louis realize that Harry in fact feels unlovable. Like love doesn't exist for him. And it breaks his heart. How he wished Harry knew how beautiful he was and how easily Louis could imagine someone falling in love with him.

"What happend to you to make you think that?" Louis had to hold in his own tears as he spoke. But that second Harry turned to finally face him.

"Look Louis. I get that you want to talk to me. Find out every single thing. But I really don't want to talk about that shit. It's a miracle I'm even telling you all this shit. But lets just say I'm adopted. I was never wanted to begin with."

"That's not true Harry. You got adopted and I'm sure they love you." Louis tries to convince him but Harry doesn't buy it.

"Oh yeah. But out of pity. They don't really love me. They feel sorry for me. There's a difference." Harry turns away and Louis leaves it at that. Knowing Harry wouldn't listen to him anyway.

___________________________________

☽ 𝙿𝚕𝚎𝚊𝚜𝚎 𝚍𝚘𝚗'𝚝 𝚏𝚘𝚛𝚐𝚎𝚝 𝚝𝚘 𝚟𝚘𝚝𝚎 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚌𝚘𝚖𝚖𝚎𝚗𝚝❤︎ ☾