Five: Blank Mind

As I try on the same outfit for the fourth time, I finally decide that I'd keep it on

As I try on the same outfit for the fourth time, I finally decide that I'd keep it on. It's an all black jumpsuit that I've paired with my jean jacket, red black and white Jordan retros 1s, and red lipstick. I check myself out in the mirror one last time before grabbing my purse and keys, getting into my red Mustang.

An hour later, I pull up to, Goosefoot, which is my mama's favorite restaurant. Walking inside, I quickly find my mama and grandma sitting at a table dressed like Beyoncé and Queen Elizabeth so I hug them and sit down.

"You look beautiful.. very naked, but beautiful." My grandma smiles softly as she takes her huge church hat off.

"Thank you, grandma. This is actually me being modest though." I say, making her buck her eyes. "How have y'all been?"

"You would know if you came home to see us, Lani. I don't know why I have to beg to see you and we only stay 30 minutes away from each other." My mama tells me as she rolls her eyes. We act so much alike, but she always says she wonders where my attitude came from. You homegirl, I got it from you.

"I'm sorry, mama and grandma. I'm just so busy these days with all of the dance practice. I have to get my girls ready so we can win. Plus, Chanel and I have to practice for our own competitions as well. I'm gonna start back coming around more often." I say before ordering my food.

"Oh Lord, I was hoping you had stopped doing all that lil nasty dancing. I hope you don't be teaching them babies the same dances you and Chanel do. Whew! When I came to you and Chanel's first competition, I thought pussy juice was gone fly on my forehead."

Me and my mama both laugh at my grandma. That woman doesn't care what she says. "Grandma, I teach them hip hop dances that's appropriate for their ages and you're so dramatic. That dance wasn't even that bad. You'd really have a fit if you saw the one we're doing at the next competition."

"Speaking of Chanel, where is she? I thought she was supposed to come eat with us today. Also, have you found a man yet, Lani? I'm ready for some grandchildren." My mama says as she sips her wine and eats her food.

"She's sick. I'll tell her that you asked about her." I lie smoothly. "No, mama. I haven't found a man yet and I don't plan to." I shrug.

"Milani Amari Ross, are you going gay on us?!! If you are please let me know so I can stop expecting great grands." My grandma says loudly, making people look at us.

I laugh before answering, "No ma'am, I'm not going gay. I'm just not looking for a relationship right now. I'm focused on myself, my students, and my own dance career."