Broken By Monsters

A blood curdling scream escaped a girl's lips as strange creatures wearing her family's skin approached her after she'd been playing Minecraft with her online friends.

Immediately noises of concern rang through her headphones as her friends were asking what was wrong.

The gray eyed girl through her laptop at a person once known as her sister. Scrambling off the bed she opened her window and bursted out onto the roof.

Luckily enough the monsters were slow enough that she could at least gain some ground. On the roof she stumbled, looking down at her one peaceful street. Blood spattered everywhere as the undead roamed around. Bile started rising in the girl's throat but she found a place where she could get safely to the ground.

Unwillingly her feet led her to her pool shed where she knew a baseball bat was. Her fingers rapidly clicked on her phone's screen her breath was rapid, her eyes shaky and unfocused.

She reconnected on the call where she heard voices of concern blasting through. "Zombies." Flare said numbly, everyone quieting down at the sound of her voice. "It's the zombie apocalypse. It's real."

Yells echoed down the call and Flare heard a groan from behind her. Freezing she turned and saw her sister. Her sister who she loved, who supported her from day one in whatever she did. She had her Stitch onesie on, like normal- except bite and scratch marks adorned the blue material. Her brown hair flowed around her and her brown eyes were empty.

"Lauren please." Flare's voice broke. "Leave me alone." She held the baseball bat she had shakily in front of her. Flare only got a small groan in response. "I love you. So please-" Tears started leaking out her eyes. "Please just let me go."

A beat of hesitation occurred before Flare took off running. Her neon blue sneakers pounding into the ground, not wasting a second.

Her breath was uneven as she started running towards the school she went to when she was younger- a ten minute walk- a five minute run of panic. As much as Flare loved sports, she always hated running. All from a injury suffered to her knee so she tried to never do it again.

"Flare?! Flare please respond." A voice rang through her earbuds. Right. She was still on a call wasn't she.

"Al-Alexis?" Flare stuttered nearly collapsing in a heap.

"Take deep breathes, it's going to be okay." Her soothing voice carried through the phone.

"It's not going to be fine!" Flare yelled in hysterics. "I just saw my fucking sister as a zombie." She sobbed. "I don't even know who's alive anymore. Lina. Becca. They could be dead- my family was. All of them."

"Listen to me Flare." She said firmly. "We have that meetup we were planning next week yeah? Just start driving to Florida to meet Nomi and Swaeshy. Get out of there. We can all meet up, okay? Texas. Beano, Hyper, Alice, and I can meet up. So can Nova and Turtel. Waddup and Las are still flying to Cali so I'll meet them at the airport then grab em. Aegis, Phoenix, Ukiy, and Pyro can meet in Texas. We will be fine okay?"

Flare's voice shakily went through to the others on the call. "Have Nomi and Swaeshy just go to Texas, it's faster for them and they are younger than most of us. I'll be fine." Whether she was assuring herself or them- Flare would never know.

"Flare-" Alexis's stern voice was cut off when Flare clicked the disconnect button. Texts immediately started blowing up her phone but she ignored them, shoving them into her short pockets.

.

.

.