Chapter 3 | Finding Out

The first day of school I wake up and start to vomit. Right after I have brushed my teeth. I have to wash them again to make sure I don't have smelly breath. Great way to start of the the day. I still haven't gotten around to to tell Josh. It's not like you can casually brim it up in conversation. I'm not sure I'm even going to tell him. It's not like he has to know right? Actually, wrong. I would want to know if my boyfriend cheated on me. I'll tell him after school.

I go to my bus stop and Sabrina is already there. There's are two other kids at this stop. Both sophomores as well.

"You okay, Pen?"

"I'm fine," I say a bit too fast and harsh. I know she is just worried about it but I don't want to think about it. But I really could use her support. We are best friends after all. "Actually, I still haven't figured out how to tell Josh. Should I even tell him?"

"I think he deserves to know. This way a boulder can be lifted off your shoulders."

"It will always be there. I just hope the guy doesn't remember me. I surely don't remember him."

∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

As soon as we get off the bus, Sabrina grabbs my hand and dashes off to the girl's restrooms. She locks the door once we're inside.

"What's going on Bri? What are you doing?" She pulls something out of her backpack. A white box with a picture of a white stick on the box. "What is this?" It takes me a moment to realize that it's a pregnancy test. "No! I am not pregnant."

Sabrina says, "You said you don't remember anything from that day, how do you know you used protection?" The thing is, I didn't. I'd never even considered that. I was too busy freaking out that I'd had sex. Now I'm freaking out that I could have a human being growing inside of me.

Sabrina must have noticed that panicked look on my face because she reassures me, "Everything will be fine."

I take the box and do as the instructions say. Two lines means I'm pregnant. One line means I'm not. At this moment I'm praying, begging, hoping that only one line appears. Slowly two lines start to appear. Sabrina and I have our mouths wide open.

"Oh my god! No no no no no no no!" I drop to the floor and start crying.
I haven't cried this much since the longest time. "This can't be true. They're 99.9% correct. This can be one of those .1% times. Right, Bri?" Even saying this, I know I'm wrong. I know the test is right. I know I'm pregnant. I don't know who the father is.

"I don't think so, Pen. I'm so so sorry. I never should have bought that" She points to the box on the floor.

"It doesn't matter," I say still crying my eyes out. I'm wiping my eyes while saying, "I would have still been pregnant. I should have taken the Morning-After Pill just to be sure. Gosh, I'm so stupid!"

Sabrina calms me down and comforts me. "We'll get through the this. We will. It's going to be okay." And for the first time, I think that's the first lie she's ever said to me.

It's lunch time already and I decided to break up with Josh. He doesn't deserve to be with a pregnant girl. He deserves someone so much better. Josh spots me first from across the cafeteria.

"Hey Pen!" He kisses me but I pull away. "What's wrong Pen? My breath doesn't stink does it? I swear I brushed my teeth this morning!" He raises his hands in a defensive away.

"No. It's not that." I think of all the cliche breakups in movies and how the person being broken up with cries for days. Weeks even. I hope Josh isn't one of those people. I guess what I'm saying is that I hope he isn't in love with me. We've been dating since freshman year. I say it before I regret it. "I'm going to be direct with you, Josh."

He looks confused as he says,"Okay? What's going on?"

"I'm breaking up with you." The look of hurt and confusion hurts me. Surprisingly I'm not crying. I try to block it all off.

"Wait, can you repeat that I heard that you said you were breaking up with me?" He chuckles.

"You heard correctly. I just think this isn't working out so well. I guess it wasn't meant to be." I shrug and walk away.

He grabs my hand and says, "What? Why?" Did I do something wrong?"

I turn around to look at him when I say, "No. It's not you. It's me." So cliche. "Sorry." I walk away and don't look back as I sit next to Sabrina.