Chapter 7 | Friends

A few things I learned from last night is that first-time mothers start to show at 12-16 weeks. You also don't start to feel sick until at least 6 weeks and I'm just just 4 weeks. I guess the first time it was probably the dinner is had the night before.

I walk into the front doors of of our school L.A High School with Sabrina. I see Caleb laughing with his group of friends. What if his whole interest in me was a prank or something? What if it was only a joke and that's what they're laughing about? Caleb spots me and waves goodbye to his friends and starts walking towards me.

"Hey, Penelope. Hello, Sabrina." I haven't had a chance to tell her about last night. I only told her that we kissed. After that she said she had to do something and I could tell her the rest of the details later.

Maybe that's why she says with a huge smile on her face, "Hello, Caleb. Well, I'll leave you two alone." She walks out of Caleb's sight. From behind him she starts making kissing faces. I can't help but laugh at this. Caleb looks at me confused and then turns around when he figures out I'm laughing at something behind him. Sabrina quickly stop and turns back around, walking as if nothing happened.

"So, Penelope, uh, about last night," he starts. "I'm very sorry about that. I did hear that you just had broken up with someone. Geez, I'm such a jerk. But I hope we can at least be friends. I don't know what went over me. I'm sorry. Friends?"

I think about this for a while. I can't date him, but we can be friends. At least we can be friends. It's like there is this connection that just draws me to him. It's always been there, but I've always ignored it because I was with Josh. In middle school, Caleb and I used to be friends. But then we went on to high school and we didn't have any classes together freshmen year. We made new friends and it just sort of happened. But I always felt connected with Caleb.

"Okay. Friends." I hold out my hand to indicate that we're friends. Caleb shakes it with a smile.