Chapter 6 | Parents

I walk into the living room and my parents are watching a movie, snuggled closed together. My parents are so in love. They're going to freak out when I tell them about my pregnancy. My mom turns to looks at me. "Hey, darling. Where have you been all day?"

I fake a smile so they won't see what's really happening. "Oh, I was just with a friend."

My dad is one of those parents who needs to know every detail about where I've been. My mom on thee other hand, is a bit more easy-going I guess. Don't know how to explain. She bends the rules more than dad does. "What friend?" Dad asks suspiciously.

"Just a friend from school, dad. No need to worry he's not going to rape me or anything if that's what you're worried about." I say already want to get to my room. I can't stand not telling them about my pregnancy.

"So it's a he? What his name? How old is he? What type of student is he? What about Josh?"

"You sure ask a lot of questions, dad. Okay, uh, his name is Caleb. He is 16. He gets really good grades. He's part of a band actually and Josh and I broke up." I say that last bit slowly because I know how much they loved him.

My mom mutes the television, gets up and hugs me. "Oh darling! I'm so sorry to hear about that. I know how much you cared about him."

"Mom, I broke up with him."

She pulls away. "Why? I thought things were going really well."

"I guess it just didn't work out." I go up to my room before they start asking more questions. Once I get to my room I throw myself into my queen sized bed. The walls are a watery blue, my pictures hanging on the walls. There is one of me and Sabrina on our first day of high school. I was so excited but Sabrina was terrified. She said, "The big kids will pick on us. What if like in Mean Girls 2, they make our life miserable."

"That's not going to happen." I reassured her.

There is another picture of the sunset when we went to a vacation in Hawaii. Back then I had no idea any of this would happen. I get up and sit on my desk chair and turn on my iMac. I go to google and search, "Teen Pregnancy". I click on the Wikipedia, "Teenage Pregnancy". I had already spend hours researching when my mom comes into the door. I quickly minimize the window. I hope she didn't notice.

"Hey, honey. It's already 10pm, about to be 11. She should get to bed," she says peeking her head through the door. I spin my chair around to face her. "What did you just close? Is there something you don't want me to see?"

Oh no. She saw. "Um. No. I mean yes. I mean, whatever means I'm not hiding anything." Hopefully she bought it.

"Okay." She had closed the door and I let out my breath I didn't know I has holding. She comes back in, "Actually, I need pay our phones and I'd rather do it online. Do you mind?"

If I say I do mind she'll suspect and check. If I say I don't mind she see. I should have closed the window. "Not at all."

I get up and she sits down. She opens Google Chrome when she sees what I was looking at. "What is this? Why are you on a teen pregnancy page?" She looks at me suspiciously. I've been caught. I have to tell her.

"It's a project for health." What? Did I say that? "Yeah, we have to do some research on that. They're telling us not to get pregnant and we have to plan out our life if we would be pregnant as a teen. This way, we will see our life will be horrible and we won't do it." I'm shocked at how smoothly that came out.

"Oh," my mom says relived. "I thought you were actually pregnant there for a second." She chuckles. "But you wouldn't be that stupid would you, Pen?"

"No." She returns to paying our phones while I set on my bed guiltily. My mom will be so disappointed in me when she finds out I'm pregnant.