Chapter 8 | Telling The Parents

I walk into my first class and sit next to Sabrina. She is resting her chin on her hand, ginning wide when she asks me, "So, you didn't tell me all the details last night. Did you make out?"

"No!" I reply. "We stayed... friends. Just friends, okay. I can't deal with having a boyfriend right now and I don't think he'd want to deal with me if he found out that I'm pregnant."

"I should have known," Sabrina says erasing her smile of her face. "Do you think you'll still come to school?"

"What are you talking about?" I say as soon as the bell rings.

"Okay, class I need to go do something and I'll be right back. Behave yourselves." says the teacher and walks out of the classroom.

"I'm talking about the, you know. The thing inside of you right now." Just think about having a human inside me makes me uneasy. It's so weird.

"I don't know," I respond. "But I really need to make a plan." I pause for a bit, knowing that the very first step in the plan is the one I've been dreading the most since I found out I was pregnant. The one I hoped I'd never had to do until I was at least married. "And the first step is telling my parents."

"Do you want me to be with you? When you tell them, I mean?"

"No, it's okay. But I might call you or go to your house right after." That's the handy thing about being neighbors.

∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

I walk through my front door and my mom is making a gourmet food. Once a week so my mom goes through great lengths to make gourmet food. It always looks so fancy I have no idea what they are. My mom is a chef so it makes sense that she does this.

"Hey honey. It's Gourmet Day! Dad is going to be home in a few minutes." She turns to look at. I give her a weak smile and she obviously knows something is wrong. She turns into excited to concerned. "What's wrong? Is everything okay, Penelope?"

Im serious when I say, "I, uh. I have something to tell you. But I, um, rather wait until dad gets home. It's rather serious."

She's about to say something when dad walk through the door.

"I smell delicious food!" He looks at our faces and then says, "What happened?"

"Can we go to the living room? I think you guys should sit down for this." We walk towards the living room. They sit down and I face them. A tear escapes my eye. "I'm so sorry. I, I didn't mean to. I'm so sorry." I start crying and feel like my tears could fill the whole ocean.

"What happened?" I have no idea who said that as everything is blurry due to my tears. I wipe them but it doesn't work as I keep crying.

"I'm having a baby," I whisper it so low I wonder if they heard it.

"Is this for your health assignment? Mom already knows the answer to that. I don't think I would be crying just for an assignment.

"No."

"Oh. My. Gosh." My dad puts his hands on his heads and rests his elbow on his lap. He can't take it anymore and stands up. "Don't they reach you this in school!? We have even talked to you about this when you started dating Josh!"

"Dad, I'm so sorry." He is really angry.

"George, calm down. Getting angry isn't going to fix anything. I'm upset too. But, Penelope needs us."

"You're seriously telling me you're not mad about this."

"I am!"

I am just standing there with me head down. I look up and see dad has calmed down. I'm not crying as much anymore

"Okay. Penelope, how did this happen?" He is definitely calmer but still has a harsh tone in his voice.

"Sex?" I say trying to make a joke out of the situation.

"This is not the time to make jokes," says mom. "Does Josh know? Is this why you broke up?"

I stay quiet for a bit before whispering, "The father isn't Josh."

"What you say? I didn't hear you." My dad leans in to listen closer.

"The father isn't Josh."

"Then who is it?" My mom has an edgy tone.

"I don't know."

"What do you mean you don't know?!" Dad gets angry again.

"I don't know! I woke up at the party I went to. Nobody was there. Sabrina bought me a pregnancy test an it turned out I was pregnant."

"Sabrina knows about this?" Asks mom.

"She is my best friend."

"We are your parents, Penelope," says dad.

"I know. I was scared. I am scared." My mother brings me into a hug. "Mommy, I'm scared."

My mom looks at me and says, "You haven't called me that since forever. Penelope, we are going to get through this." My dad joins in on the hug and we are now all hugging. Maybe I will get through it. We will get through this. Me and the baby.