Chapter 5 - Dead Man Running

MacKenzie's POV

"I got the quotes for the mayor story, and I finished your filing." Allegra tells Iris. "Everything's alphabetical."

"Great." Iris says

"Also, I quit." Allegra says

"Allegra, wait." Iris says

"You know why I was even out here?" Allegra says. "Enjoying the sun. You don't get much of that in Iron Heights." I glance at Iris as we both listen. "I spent five years locked up there, and it taught me how to tell the difference between a snitch and a liar. You're not a snitch."

"Allegra, it's not what you think, okay?" Iris says

"Forget it." Allegra says. "I've wasted enough time behind bars. I'm not wasting any more working for a liar. So be honest with me, or I'm out of here."

Iris looks at me before sighing. She looks at Allegra. "Okay. You're right." Iris says. "I was lying to you, but I can't tell you the truth about Harrison Wells, not yet. I do believe in you, Allegra. I think you have great instincts, and I think you're gonna make a great reporter. That's why I took a chance on you. Now I'm asking you to take a chance on me, okay? Trust me. When the time is right, I will tell you everything. I promise."

"We're journalists." Allegra tells Iris. "It's our job to tell people the truth, not control it, even if it's tough to say, or hard as hell to hear. Just saying, boss. See you in the morning."

Allegra leaves

***

Iris, Cisco, and I walk into STAR Labs where pop music is playing. The lights are all off and disco lights are flashing. Glowsticks are in peoples' hands around the room. There's quite a few people here

"Woah..." I whisper, looking around. "Cool."

Barry dances his way over to me and Iris

"Hey, sweetie, we having a little get-together?" Iris asks

"So Frost has never had a birthday party, so I offered to throw her one." Barry explains over the loud music. "She picked the guest list."

Glass breaks and Frost stands on a table. "It's my party, and I'll rage if I want to!" Frost exclaims

Everyone has a lot of fun dancing around in the dark

***

3rd Person POV

Barry stands out on the balcony alone

Frost makes her way out to him. "Hey." She whispers, pulling his attention. "You're missing out on all the fun. Thanks for the party. I'm thinking next year, we go whitewater rafting."

"You should definitely do that." Barry tells her

"You're not gonna be at my birthday party next year, are you?" Frost asks, turning her head. "Whenever you talk about life after Crisis, you never talk about yourself. You're gonna do more than just vanish in Crisis, aren't you?"

"I don't know how to tell them." Barry says

"Try with me by your side." Iris says from behind Barry, walking over. "Barry, keeping this secret all day hasn't felt right. Let's tell them together."

"How the hell am I supposed to tell Mack?" Barry whispers, the real question escaping his mind as he looks at Iris

"Maybe we don't tell her..." Iris whispers. "Not yet at least."

"I don't wanna get in the middle of this but that's a terrible idea." Frost says. "If you don't tell her now, she's going to explode at you later. Might as well contain the damage now then later."