Chapter 31 - Death of the Speed Force

MAKE SURE TO CHECK OUT MY NEWEST FANFICTION: THE TRIBRID AND THE DREAMWORLDS

3rd Person POV

...and as if it only happened for a microsecond, everything starts up again...

"No, no, no, Wally, we have to go back." Barry pleads with Wally and I turn my head in confusion. "I have to talk to her. I have to talk to her!"

"Barry, what did you do?" Wally asks. "The Speed Force... it's dying. This is why our powers are broken. This is what we have been sensing this whole time."

"Look, it's not... it's not possible, all right?" Barry tells Wally. "I mean, the Speed Force is an infinite source of energy. It's like gravity or light. It doesn't just die."

"No, it didn't just die, Barry." Wally says. "She said it's dying because of what you did. Barry, this is your fault!" He yells and I sit silently

"Ramsey was infecting me." Barry says. "I mean, I didn't have a choice."

"I'm not even talking about what you did to her." Wally says. "I'm talking about what you did after. You betrayed the Speed Force months ago, and you didn't say nothing then. You didn't say nothing when you came back from Crisis either, and you started noticing something was wrong with your powers. You could have told me, Barry. We might have gone into the Speed Force. We might have saved it before it was too late."

"I didn't... I didn't..." Barry whispers

"But instead you blew me off." Wally says angrily. "Again and again!"

"I... Wally, I didn't know anyone else was affected." Barry says

"Oh!" Wally exclaims

"All right? I'm sorry. I'm sorry." Barry says

"Barry, you don't get it." Wally tells Barry. "We are all connected. When I used to talk with the Speed Force, sometimes it would show me visions of different futures, different possibilities of how things could go. There was always one common thread. There was always a speedster that would pick up our mantles, like a chain of lightning stretching through centuries. I saw my kids... running with their kids. I saw Nora. But now that chain of lightning... it ends with us."

"Okay, Wally, it's not too late though, all right?" Barry says. "I mean, we still have our speed. We can go back in there. I can save her."

"No, you saw it, Barry." Wally says. "The Speed Force is beyond repair. And if you think that I'm gonna bring you back in after everything that you have done..."

"Wally..." Barry whispers

"You need to find another teacher." Wally tells him, leaving

"Wally... we... we..." Barry tries but Wally storms out of the room. Barry sighs, sitting back in his chair next to me

"Dad?" I ask in a whisper. "What...what just happened?"

"Um..." Barry starts in a whisper, looking over at me. "Get your backpack and pack up your lunch. We're going to STAR Labs."

"What are we going to do there?" I ask, not moving

"You're going to stay with Cait." Barry tells me, putting some stuff away. "I'm gonna try to fix this."

"Are you sure that's smart?" I ask and Barry looks at me. "I'm just asking." I tell him. "Should you really be doing this alone?"

"Wally's pissed at me." Barry says

"But he's still family." I tell him. "And family is there for us...family is always there for us." I tell him

Barry is silent for a moment and I can see him turning over my words in his mind. But I also know him. And while he knows that family is always and forever, he believes that he messed up and he needs to make things right