-39-

Location: Earth

Seonghwa

"Now that you know what I did, do you think different of me? Do you hate me?"

I pause for a second, thinking through for the first time what I should say that would garner a more positive reaction.

He took my hesitation as acknowledgement, and immediately sank even further than he had been.

"I knew it. The instant I tell anybody about what I did, their whole attitude towards me changes. Nobody wants to be friends with a murderer. That's why I took on the job here. I don't need to interact with other humans. It was suppose to be just me alone until all the others came around. Who knew I would still get hurt no matter how much I tried to prevent anything. I'm such a loser..."

I couldn't hold my tongue any longer.

"Kim Hongjoong. You are such a great human being. You're kind hearted, you're helpful, essentially you're everything I wish I could have been. If I hadn't been the complete opposite of you, and you're right, I wouldn't have been kicked out of heaven. If only I had known that good things happen to those who are good, I would have changed myself a lot earlier."

"I know you're just trying to be nice. Go on, tell me I'm pathetic and weak and any other bad word you can think of. I can't even fend for myself. How can you think that good things happen to good people? I'm nowhere near a good person and has anything I've said about my life before this been good? Not a single bit. Actually wait, that makes sense but you know what I mean." *throws his hands down frustratedly*

"You made it through everything even though it seemed like everything was lost at that point. That shows you're a strong person. Despite having it worse than most others, you still decided it was right to help others who were even more less fortunate than yourself. Even though they're all still animals but still. That shows you're a kind person."

The shorter male's eyes filled with tears again. "I've literally spent my whole life trying to make up for the mistakes I made in the past, but the guilt and regret never seems to go away, no matter how hard I try to push them aside. It took me so long to even bother having human contact again, and even now, I can't handle it. There's a reason why I'm living in such a secluded place. I'm tired of living. I want out of this cursed life."

The angel picked up the other's hand, which had been hanging sullenly by his side, and placed both his hands around it, grasping it softly but firmly.

"You may have made mistakes in your life, but everybody makes mistakes in their lives. The only thing that matters is that you picked yourself up from it and continued to make full use of the life you were blessed with. It may not have been the best, but it's definitely one worth learning from."

There was finally one person who saw the effort he had put in, to be a better person than he had been. That person was not ordinary in the slightest, but there was a comfort in knowing that someone other than himself believed in him.

"You know, they were right about one thing. It is nice having another person to talk to."

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Wasn't actually planning on having an author's note here but okay. I just wanted to share something.

The cover of this book right now wasn't its original one. But the point is, I was making the new cover while I was travelling home late from lessons and "Promise" started playing and I almost cried for some reason. (and now it's the one made by yunhosanchor_ love you! ❤)

I can't understand myself sometimes.

Anyways, if you're still enjoying this story, please leave a vote and comment if you do! Thanks for reading! xx

~cey