Ch. 44

Introducing a new character via phone call, Regina Keener.

Tell me opinions?

"After years and years of asking and asking... I finally said yes."

"Eugene!" Peter and Harley chorused.

"Alright alright," Harley grinned impishly, quoting along with the movie. "I asked her."

Peter shoved at his shoulder, sending him flying back into the pillows.

"And we're living happily ever after," he said dramatically.

"You're a dork," Harley said laughingly.

"That's not in the movie!"

"No, that's one hundred percent Keener."

Peter rolled over, burying his face in his pillow. "Has dad replied?"

"I texted both of them, but Happy said Tony was asleep again."

"Hm." Peter rubbed his face tiredly. "Is it bedtime?"

"It can be."

"No Legally Blonde?"

"You're really fixating on that, aren't you?" Harley grinned fondly, resting his hand on top of Peter's head.

Peter shrugged lightly, closing his eyes at the contact. "You wanted to watch it."

"Yeah, but not if you'll be asleep for the entire thing."

"Mmm."

Harley played idly with a loose strand of Peter's hair, gaze focused on the phone in his other hand. "Happy said he got me a room, just a few doors down, so unless you want me to spend the night here, you'll need to let go of my arm."

"You're comfy though."

"I know. I'm the comfiest person around. But you're gonna have to let go eventually."

"Ugh. Do I have to?"

"I mean, no." Harley shrugged lightly, keeping up the gentle movements with his fingers. "You don't have to, and technically, you could hold me hostage, what with those sticky powers you have. I'm guessing you could stick to my arm and never let me leave."

"I could," Peter agreed sleepily. "I do that to dad all th' time."

"I'll bet you do."

The room was quiet for a few moments, save for their combined breathing, and the hum of traffic outside the window.

"You look like you're gonna fall asleep right there."

Peter hummed an affirmative, and Harley grinned, rolling his eyes fondly. "I need to go to my room, Pete. All my stuff is there."

The other teen gave a put upon sigh, rolling onto his stomach, and relinquishing his hold with a slight pout. "You're so warm though."

"I know." Harley grinned softly. "It's one of my best qualities."

"Hm."

Harley piled the takeout containers in the trash bin, clearing off the small table, and flipped off the light, leaving only the small lamp on. "Night Pete."

"Night."

Harley pulled the door shut behind him, a small smile on his face.

The teen hurried along the hallway to his room, shutting the door as quietly as possible, and flopping onto the bed.

He pressed his face into the pillow to hide the huge smile, and rolled over, grabbing his phone.

Dialing a number from memory, he held it to his ear, and waited for it to be answered.

"Hello?"

"Hey mama."

"Harley? Hey darlin'."

"Hey."

"How's it going in the city? No one's tried to murder you yet, I hope?"

"Only twice."

"Oh, I thought it would be more."

"Yeah yeah. How're you and Abbie?"

"Doing good. Abbie won her tournament yesterday."

"The... whatsit... the jujitsu one?"

"That one. Real proud of that kid."

"Yeah. Has she beaten up that one kid yet, the one who tried to shove her in the dumpster?"

"Oh yeah. A foot shorter, fifty pounds lighter than him and she laid him out flat. It was something to see all right."

"Good."

"But I know you, Harley. You didn't call just for some chitchat, so what's botherin' you?"

"Never could get anything past you, huh?"

"Nope, so don't even try it."

"Okay. Okay, so... I'm having a problem."

"Boy problem or another type entirely?"

"It's... yeah, it's a boy."

"Ha, knew it. My mom instincts are always right."

"Mom."

"Sorry, sorry. So... tell me about him."

"Uh... he's the embodiment of human sunshine?"

"That's descriptive."

"Oh hush, mama. He is. He's always smiling. Always thinking about others. Looks out for the little guys, y'know?" He smiled to himself. "He's the kinda person I always thought I'd end up with."

"...I'm not seeing a problem."

"I don't know if he likes guys."

"That is a problem."

"You could say that."

"You could try and... ask? I know talking isn't a thing normally done by you kids nowadays, but-"

"Mama, I swear-"

"I'm teasing, honey. You know I don't think that."

"M-hm. I know."

"Oh, Abby's calling. Sorry honey, can I call you back in a few minutes?"

"I'm about to go to bed, actually."

"Ah. Gotcha. Well, I'll talk to you as soon as I can? Love you kiddo."

"Sounds good. Love you."

Okay, so I was lowkey nervous about this chapter, and about characterizing his mom...

What did you think?

I was considering bringing her back for other chapters, like not in person, but as another phone call or something?

I don't want to write her if it seemed... cringy at all, or like it wasn't relevant to the story, so...

Yes?

No?

Don't worry about offending me, I just want honest opinions.

👍