Chapter 1: Cold Morning

"Shhhhh! She'll hear us!"

"Nah! Emerson, she's too busy snoozing!"

      I squinted my eyes open just enough so I could see. The sun immediately shone into my eyes. I shut them quickly, but it wasn't enough to block out the burning of the sun. What time was it? Surely the sun can't be that high? I used my hand to block the sun as I peeked at the clock. It read 9:46 am. How could it be so late? I could hear my younger brothers arguing about gosh knows what outside my door. They were getting louder. I sat up in bed and stretched my arms out into the air. I let my body relax while I listened to my brothers arguing.

"Emerson, she's asleep. She'll never know." I heard Finley telling his twin.

"She's not asleep, Finley. It's almost 10. Evelyn never sleeps this late." Emerson argued quietly.

"Emerson. I just peeked. Peek yourself if you don't believe me." Finley reassured.

"Peek where?" I heard Mom asked sternly.

A loud thud hit against my door as one of them leaped into it.

"M-Mom?" Finley stuttered.

"Yes, Finley? Are you going to tell me what's up?" Mother asked sternly.

"We aren't doing anything wrong mom." Emerson sounded confident.

"Then what are you doing outside of Evelyn's bedroom? She's still sleeping and you shouldn't be waking her up with your loud talking." Mom scolded.

"Why do you always defend Evelyn?!" Finley whined loudly.

"I don't. You just need to respect your older sister. You hear? Both of you?"

A pause. I assume they both nodded as mother continued.

"Very good. Now come along and have some breakfast."

Footsteps trailed away. I couldn't help as a grin of satisfaction creeped across my face as my brothers got caught.

   I gently lifted the blanket off my legs. A shiver pressed through my body at an unexpected cold chill. I swung legs over the bed and allowed them to dangle off the end while I thought about the day ahead. It's Sunday right? Yeah it is. What should I do today? Maybe clean my room? It's really messy! Mom and dad will flip! Another shiver pressed through my body. I can't just sit here in the cold! I jumped off my bed. My feet instantly felt like ice. Why was the floor so cold? It's only the beginning of fall! I skipped across the room, careful to keep my feet off the floor as much as possible. I flung open my closet door. What should I wear today? I grabbed a dark purple sweater and a black T-shirt. I flung them both on and reached for my dark gray pants. I pulled them up and slid on socks. I was still cold, but at least I wasn't as cold.

    A small knock on my door made me turn my head.

"Come in." I said, my voice cracking.

Mom opened the door. She too was wearing warm looking clothes.

"You okay, sweetpea?" Mom gently walked over to me.

"Yeah." I leaned my head on her arm while she hugged me.

"You feel okay? It's pretty cold. Do you feel sick, sweetpea?" Mom murmured.

"I feel fine, Mama." I whispered.

"Are you sure? It's really cold. You weren't dressed that warm, were you? You could get a cold and be sick." Mom fretted.

"I'm really fine, Mama. I was under my covers." I reassured.

"Okay, sweetpea. Are you hungry? It's already 10. Have you eaten?" Mom asked.

"No I just woke up." I answered.

"You must eat, sweetpea. Get something warm in your body." Mom grabbed my hand and led me out of my room, downstairs and to the kitchen.

She sat me down at the table and wrapped a blanket around me.

"Will pancakes be okay, sweetpea? I already made some for your brothers so the batter is all made up."

"Whatever's fine." I wrapped myself further in the blanket.

Mom nodded and walked back into the kitchen. Seconds later, my older sister Amelia skipped into the dining room wearing a T-shirt and thin leggings. I let out a shiver even thinking about wearing that.

"How can you possibly wear something like that Amelia?" I gapped.

"Why? What's wrong with this?" Amelia put her hands on her hips.

"Nothing. Just it's cold." I shivered more.

"It's 70 degrees outside!" Amelia defended herself.

I stared at her. How can it be that warm outside but so cold here?

"Emerson and Finley turned the temperature down to 25 degrees as a 'prank'." Amelia explained as if she was reading my mind.

    My mom walked in with two plates of pancakes. Amelia immediately sat down and mom placed a plate in front of her. Mom then placed a plate in front of me. Amelia took a huge bite of her pancakes while I took smaller bites.

"Any drinks?" Mom asked.

I only shook my head.

"Wine?" Amelia asked, blinking innocently.

"Amelia! Gosh no! You're only 16! You better not drink until you're 21!" Mom ranted good naturally.

Amelia only smiled at me, pancake showing through her teeth. I wrinkled my nose in disgust. Amelia only laughed. Mom sighed.

"Okay, any plans for either of you?" She asked.

"Can I go to the amusement park?" Amelia asked.

"Sure. How much for tickets?" Mom smiled.

"Really?" Amelia asked excitedly.

"Yeah. Anything to get you out of the house and give me a break." Mom retorted.

Amelia's face dropped. She sat back in her chair, crossed her arms and pouted. I couldn't help, but let out a loud giggle. Amelia sat up immediately.

"Want to come Evelyn?" She smiled.

"M-Me?" I stuttered.

"Yes you!" Amelia exclaimed.

"Amelia, I don't think that such a good idea-" Mom began.

"Oh come on, Mom! She has to get out of the house sometime!" Amelia argued.

"I do go to school." I pointed out.

"That doesn't count! You gotta do something fun!" Amelia argued.

"Amelia. That's enough. If Evelyn wants to go, she can." Mom compromised.

"Oh Evelyn! Pleaseeeeeeeeeeee!" Amelia batted her eyelashes.

"Fine." I shrugged.

Mom looked shocked that I actually wanted to go.

"Only for a few hours. Got it?" She added.

"Got it." Amelia grabbed some money and the car keys on the table.

"Come on Evelyn! Don't eat so slow! Get a move on!" Amelia ordered loudly.

I got up quickly and slid on my shoes. Amelia slid on hers.

"Lets go." Amelia said briskly.

I only nodded as she marched me out of the house and to the car. I climbed in the front seat. Amelia started the car and began to drive down the road. I glanced out the window and decided to never look back.