ONE: sunset curve

╔══════ °• ♖ •° ══════╗

𝗝𝗨𝗦𝗧 𝗙𝗢𝗥 𝗔 𝗠𝗢𝗠𝗘𝗡𝗧

CHAPTER ONE:
sunset curve

╚══════ °• ♖ •° ══════╝

IF THERE WAS one thing Emilia Carpenter wasn't proud of in her life, it would be the fact that she had no parents. Well, she did, but they were always out on business trips, leaving her and her twin brother Apollo behind. They gave them plenty of money for their necessities, but still . . . Emilia wished they were here. Luckily, she was close with Julie Molina's family since they were best friends. Her and Apollo often went over her house for dinner at the request of Ray so that they didn't have to worry about cooking.

Despite that setback, the thing that she was most proud of was her music. Emilia could play both the piano and guitar and sang a little bit as well. She also wrote songs, and she had to admit, some of them were kind of good. It was what helped her get into the music program at Los Feliz High School in Los Angeles.

And that's where she was now. She was walking down the hallway with one of her other best friends, Flynn, to go get Julie from her locker. The two of them had their arms linked as they approached the girl.

"Hey, underachiever," Flynn greeted.

Julie turned to them with a wide smile on her face. "Hey, disappointment. Hey, Em."

"Hi, Jules," Emilia replied.

"Okay, I know you don't want me to ask you this, but have you figured out what you're gonna do today?" Flynn questioned.

"I'll know in the moment," Julie answered.

Emilia frowned. Ever since Julie's mom passed away, the girl had lost her passion for singing and playing music. And that combined with being in the music program wasn't a very good mix. Her spot was in jeopardy, and if she didn't preform today, it would be gone.

"I know it's hard, Julie, but Mrs. Harrison said this was your last chance," Emilia urged, worry seeping into her tone. "You're one of the most talented people I know. I don't want you to just throw that away."

Julie sighed. "Thank you, Emilia. I—"

"See you at the rally!" the familiar voice of Carrie Wilson called out.

Emilia turned. Standing there was one of the most prissy girls in school, handing out flyers to the people around her. Emilia sighed and lowered her arm from Flynn. She tucked her hands into the pockets of her jeans and stared at Carrie.