FIVE: wondering

╔══════ °• ♖ •° ══════╗

𝗝𝗨𝗦𝗧 𝗙𝗢𝗥 𝗔 𝗠𝗢𝗠𝗘𝗡𝗧

CHAPTER FIVE:
wondering

╚══════ °• ♖ •° ══════╝

THE CROWD WAS stunned, and frankly, so was Emilia. Her eyes flickered between her classmates and Julie, her mind racking for any possible kind of explanation for what happened. Her thoughts scrambled to find one that was realistic, because just saying they're a bunch of ghosts who apparently I can touch and only show up when Julie and I are singing would get her a one-way ticket to a psychiatrist.

"Hey," the light technician began, standing next to Julie and Emilia. "Where'd the rest of the band go?"

"Wait, were those holograms?" Kayla, a girl from Dirty Candy, asked in excitement.

Julie turned, her eyes wide in realization. "Yes! Yes, they were holograms. Emilia and I plugged it into the ceiling projector before the show. We'd explain it, but it involves algorithms and science stuff."

The crowd all cheered again. A small smile appeared on Emilia's face and she looked to Julie. However, it slipped off her face when she noticed Reggie standing on the stage moving his hips in a circle. She sent a confused expression to Luke and Alex. The two of them merely shook their heads.

Principle Lessa clapped her hands once, gaining everyone's attention. "Okay people, show's over. Let's get back to class, please."

Everyone began filing out of the gym. Mrs. Harrison walked up to the two girls. Both of them sat at the edge of the stage to talk to her.

"Mrs. Harrison, please hear us out," Emilia voiced. "We're sorry for not asking for permission first, but . . . Julie just wanted to show you that she belongs here. And I was just along for the ride."

Their teacher shook her head. "As amazing as that was, Emilia, Julie's spot's already been filled by another student."

Her entire mood deflated as she looked to where Mrs. Harrison was pointing. A small boy, possibly a freshman, was lugging a large instrument case down the stairs of the stage.

"Come on, that thing is way too big for him!" Julie protested.

"He'll grow into it," Mrs. Harrison replied. "I wish that I could help you, Julie, but my hands are tied."

"Mine aren't," Principle Lessa announced, walking up and standing besides Mrs. Harrison. "And as much as I didn't approve of this little stunt that you two pulled, I will not go down in history as the principle who kicked Julie Molina out of the music program or getting Emilia Carpenter in trouble for singing."