Chapter Ten

After breakfast I was washing up the dishes while Chris was in the living room. I placed the plates on the tea towel and patted my hands dry. My gaze searched the outside world out the window overlooking the dining table. Colorful leaves danced beautifully to the ground. I smiled.

I walked out into the living room to see what chores I'll be doing today. I looked around the empty room puzzled. Where was he? I walked around the couch and peered out the window next to the fireplace. I couldn't see anything out there other than the trees and leaves.

"Chris?"

I called out for him and went upstairs. I looked in my room, nothing, and then his room. The house was empty. I wrung my hands together in worry. Where is he?

I walked back downstairs and looked out the small peephole in the door. Out past the porch I could see what looked to be a garage a few yards away from the house. I jiggled the door but it was locked, as usual. The backdoor.

I quickly went into the kitchen and tried it. Nothing. I pressed my face against the small glass window in the door to try and see where Chris could be. My eyes caught a figure walking towards the house in the direction of the garage. I smiled and relaxed, happy to see that he didn't leave me.

He came in from the front door and I went out to see him.

"Welcome back, sir."

Chris looked up and smiled warmly.

"Thank you, Karmen."

He opened his arms and I accepted his embrace. After a few moments I pulled away but caught something in the corner of my eye. What was on his sleeve? I quickly grabbed his shirt and examined it. Blood?

"Did you cut yourself, sir? There's blood on your shirt."

It was just a little bit, a couple of drops, but it worried me. How did he get hurt? He stared at his sleeve, silent. Quickly he smiled and pushed my hands away from him as he chuckled.

"Ah, yeah. I just pricked my finger on something outside. Don't worry."

I accepted the answer and smiled up at him. For the rest of the day I was puzzled by the spot but pushed it to the back of my mind. I was just glad he was able to stay home for once.