Chapter 45

When Mia and James arrived back at Hogwarts, they started walking towards the Headmistress' office.

On their way, they passed a group of students who were standing next to one of the windows.

"Oh my, are you girls seeing what I'm seeing?" One of them whispered.

"Wow, James looks incredible in that outfit," another girl said.

"I know, right? I wish he asked me out."

Mia took a glance at them over her shoulder, then scoffed.

James smiled down at her before turning around to look at the girls. "Sorry, but I'm taken!"

The Ravenclaw's mouth fell open at the sound of his words.

The girls stared at the two of them suspiciously before walking away from their spot, discussing what they saw in hushed voices.

When James turned his attention back to Mia, he was met with her disapproving stare.

"What?" He asked.

"Why would you say that? We're not together."

"I know," he nodded, "but my heart's been taken by you for ages, so technically I am taken. Plus you seemed a bit annoyed, so –"

"Annoyed?" She asked. "That's ridiculous, why would I be annoyed?"

"Maybe because you like me, and hearing those girls speak that way about me made you angry?"

Mia clenched her jaw and quickened her footsteps. "As if. I was only pitying them for thinking you look good."

James chuckled. "This is funny."

"What's funny?" She scowled.

"I mean, if I'm delusional, what are you?"

Mia stopped. "Excuse me?"

Smiling, James took a step closer to her. "Instead of lying to yourself, you should just admit that you like me."

"Here we go again," she rolled her eyes. "We're friends now, remember?"

"So you weren't angry, then?" He tilted his head to the side while taking another step closer to her.

"Of course not. We're friends," she repeated.

"Good," he said in a low voice as he stared down into her eyes.

Mia cleared her throat, then turned her head away, only to see two girls staring at them with wide eyes.

"What are you looking at?!" She snapped.

The girls jumped slightly, then they turned on their heels and hurried away.

"We should go," Mia mumbled moodily. "McGonagall must be waiting for us."

"Right," James sighed. "Fun's over, I guess."

They continued walking towards the Gargoyle Corridor in silence, receiving occasional stares from other students who they passed by. When they arrived, they saw the Head Girl standing next to the staircase.

"Finally," she let out a sigh when they stepped in front of her. "The Headmistress asked me to wait for you here. Resurrection Stone."

The stairs started moving.

"Go ahead," the Head Girl took a step away from them. "She'll be expecting you."

With a last look at the two of them, she turned around and left.

Mia took in a deep breath, then she stepped on the stairs with James following closely after her. When they reached the entrance of the office, Mia raised her hand and started knocking.