Prologue

From his bed, Sirius heard a book thump to the floor in another room. He furrowed his eyebrows and listened in while keeping an eye on his phone. "Remus? Everything all good in there?"

The silence hung in the air like wet washing after a storm.

"Sirius?" Remus' voice wobbled.

Sirius stopped. He waited.

"Sirius?" his voice became more urgent, and it only wobbled more. "Sirius?!"

Quickly standing up, Sirius jogged through the hallway. "What, what? What's wrong?"

Remus' book was on the floor at his feet, but he wasn't looking at it. He was staring at the television, face drained of all colour. His eyes were wide, the fear in his expression evident. "What's the Potter's number plate?"

Stepping closer, Sirius scanned the screen. He felt everything in his body freeze. His heart had an icy fist squeezed around it, holding it in his throat until he couldn't breathe.

"What road did they say they were travelling on?" Remus asked. Neither man could move, their eyes stuck glued to the News on screen.

"No," is all Sirius could say. "We don't know it's them."

Remus' hand touched Sirius'; it was ice cold. He squeezed it. "Sirius?" he said uncertainly in between his rapid breaths.

A lump in his throat formed. A minuscule movement, Sirius shook his head. "Get your keys."