02| Tipsy bitsy Gene

🌼🌻

Genevieve felt much safer and comfortable watching from a secluded corner. Her younger brother and his wife, alongside their three-year-old son, welcomed their guests seated under the canopy, mounted up within the compounds of their family home. They wore an exact native attire. Their smiles were wide and their gestures polite. They had just made it out of the house that late afternoon since returning from the church service. Music blasted through the speakers and a few guests chatted out in their dialect.

She couldn't find it in her to mingle. Well, she didn't know how to do that. They weren't exactly the people she knew. A few were here on behalf of the couple; another set, on behalf of her parents and the rest, were members from the church, here to share in the joy. She wished more than anything that she was back in her apartment, curled up in her bed, away from swarming eyes and blasting speakers. Frankly, she wasn't the party type. She had never been.

"Gene! Gene!" She felt a pull on her arm, forcing her to turn abruptly and face her mother, a lady whose facial features were like hers, as well as heights.

"Why are you standing here?" Her mother scolded at the same time as she queried. Without waiting for a reply from her daughter, she dragged her along with her.

"I need to introduce you to an old friend." She explained in much enthusiasm as she dragged her under the canopy. There, her mother presented her in front of an older lady. She didn't seem familiar to Gene at all.

"This is my daughter, Genevieve; and dear, this is Ruby. We attended the same university."

"Good afternoon, ma'am." Genevieve greeted with a light smile and a touch of humbleness. Ruby laid a hand on her shoulder as she displayed a warm smile.

"Afternoon, dear. Your mother and I were very close friends back in school. Currently, I live in the States so this would be our first meeting." She felt the need to explain, and Genevieve nodded in understanding. Ruby drew a little closer to her.

"Don't worry, dear, your mother has said it all. I promise you, by the end of next year, you'll get married."

Married? Genevieve's brows arched up in question, as surprise entailed within her eyes. She couldn't help but spare her mother a glance, who smiled like there was nothing wrong with what was happening.

"You might not know, but there are successful Nigerian men over there searching for the perfect, well-behaved Nigerian woman ready to become their wives. I promise to set you up with only the very best." The older lady bragged some more and by this time, Genevieve felt utterly embarrassed as well as uncomfortable. She found it harder to keep up her smile, yet she couldn't throw a tantrum.

Overall, she blamed herself for forgetting that her mother would never give up so easily.

~ ~ ~

She walked into the lounge early at night, holding on to her clutch purse and dressed in something simpler, romantic and date-wise. Her makeup was subtle, yet different from her daily keep up. For a moment, she spared the room a glance; there was no sign of the familiar face she was in search of. Sparing her wristwatch a glance, she realised she was five minutes earlier than their agreed time. Mentally, she shook her head at herself. It's so her to arrive before the scheduled time.

Regardless, she was glad to be here on time, and without wasting a second more to attract attention, she made her way towards the bar and took her seat on a stool. As she drew in a deep breath, she realised she was more nervous than she thought.

What if he turns out to differ from what I expected?

What if the picture on his profile was never really him?