022| Where do we actually stand?

🌼🌻

Gene recalled he had nothing edible in his fridge, so she resolved to hurry back up to her apartment. She had to make something simple and quick. She made white rice and heat the stew she had in her fridge. Soon, she finished and made her way back down to his apartment.

"Elliot." She called once she was back in his room, trying to get him to wake up. Finally, she could help him sit up. She presented the food in front of him and Elliot couldn't help looking from her to the food and back to her once again. He shook his head.

"I don't think I can." He confessed, and she sighed, as she lowered her eyes from him. He noticed how exhausted she seemed.

"I can try." He added before reaching out to take the tray off her hands and onto his laps. She watched as he took hold of the spoon and, for the next few seconds, he kind of fiddled with it. She could tell it was hard for him to scoop some into his mouth.

"It's getting cold." She reminded, and he lifted his eyes to her, reminded of her presence. He flashed her a brief yet weak smile before returning his gaze to the food. Finally, he could scoop a little into his mouth. He chewed slowly, and his expression made it obvious that he wasn't quite enjoying the dish like he should.

Genevieve was understanding. She knew the food probably tasted bitter to him, which assured her the more that he'd come down with malaria. She watched, waiting for him to scoop another into his mouth, but he never did. He was back to playing with his food. Suddenly, he stopped, lifting his eyes to her.

"Maybe feed me." He commented and her eyes gradually dilated in reaction to his statement. Reading the surprise on her face, Elliot let out a weak, yet short, laughter.

"Relax. I'm kidding." He added before returning his gaze to the food. Unknowingly, she let out a light sigh. At least, it was good to know he still had his sense of humour.

Gene watched him for some time. "You don't have to eat it all; just enough for you to take your drugs." She stated, and his eyes were back on her as he nodded.

Elliot didn't want her stressed out any more than he was. He knew he would have to force himself to get some food down if he really wanted to get better, so he did exactly that. Little scoops, but he got them into his mouth and when he was sure he'd tried his best, he looked up to her.

It was faint, quick to disappear and he might not have seen right because of how ill he was, but, he could have sworn he saw a smile on her face and that made a smile appear on his face as well. Satisfied with how much he'd eaten, she took the tray away, leaving it on the ground.

Soon, she was handing him the cup of water and a few capsules. He stared at it for a second before gulping it down. Gene collected the cup and left it on the side table. She helped him lay once more in bed and when she was sure he was okay, she stood to leave, but he was quick to hold on to her hand.

She turned back to him. "Are you leaving?" he queried as he hoped her reply would be a no, but she was hesitant and he could see she wasn't about to give him the answer he would like to hear. Gradually, he let go of her hand and shifted further in from where he laid. He tapped on the newly created space.

"Stay a little longer." He stated and Gene couldn't help the surprise that played out of her face regarding his suggestion. She barely looked away from him as she thought about the idea. She'd left the office in a hurry and work hours weren't over. Genevieve knew she had to return, but her heart couldn't help yearning to be by his side.

"Please." He pleaded and Gene was in turmoil. She wasn't sure anymore what the right decision was.

Gently, she sat down and eventually lifted her legs above the ground and onto the bed as her head touched the pillow. For a few seconds, she stared at the ceiling before drifting her eyes to her side. She met a smile from him and though she wanted to do the same, she wasn't sure if she could or if she should. Yes, right then, she was probably the most idiotic person on earth, but she simply couldn't help it.

She watched as he reached for her hand and softly held it in his. He'd been respectful enough not to do anything grave without her permission, and she was grateful for that. The moment she lifted her eyes back to his face, she met his eyes shut and it would seem he'd fallen fast asleep. Gene let out a silent sigh and hoped he felt better when he wakes up.

Genevieve couldn't stop staring. Then she was sure he'd somehow squeezed himself into her heart. Maybe she'd felt this way from the very first night they'd met; she wasn't sure, but one thing was a fact, her growing feelings for him.

But it's wrong. A voice in her head reminded her, and Gene shut her eyes for a second to recollect her thoughts. She didn't want to think about that. She wasn't ready to weigh how wrong this was or why it was wrong. Not yet. Maybe she would do that later, but... she needed the moment. It might be the only moment she gets. She had to dwell in it, to cherish it and then, she won't get to regret tomorrow.

Gently, she shifted closer till there was no space left in between them. His eyes barely fluttered open in response to the movement he'd felt on the bed. The moment he realised she was closer than a minute ago, a light smile curved on his face. He let go of her hand and wrapped his arm around her instead, drawing her closer into his arms. Gene hadn't expected that, but she wouldn't deny the gladness of being held the way she was.

Sooner than later, his eyes went shut, and he thrust back into the sleep he'd woken up from. She felt his breathing on the side of her face. It was hot and soft. She couldn't help placing a hand on his forehead. His temperature was yet to subside, but no worries. In a few hours, the drug would work its magic and he'll be alright.

She stared down at his arm that laid around her belly. She recalled the child she was with child. Gradually, she drifted her eyes up to his face.

Do I tell him? She wondered, but right after, she mentally shook her head. No, it'll just complicate things.

Nothing about what was going on between them was certain. She wasn't sure telling him the truth was going to do either of them any good. Gene silently let out a sigh. She had so much on her mind. Even for a short while, she wanted to forget her troubles. Gradually, she shut her eyes and sooner than later, sleep carried her along.

The knock was loud to the extent Gene had believed for some time that she was dreaming. Eventually, her eyes fluttered open. The knock came through once more and clear enough to convince her this was real. Lazily, she dragged herself off the bed and on her two feet. She still felt quite drowsy, feeling like she hadn't had enough of sleep, but somehow, she made her way out of the room and towards the door. She turned the lock and pulled the door open. The moment her eyes fell on the people in front of her, they gradually widened.

Don't forget... please click the vote button if you like the story and comment to let me know your thoughts.