016| Our little creation

🌻🌼

Gene felt her phone ring in her handbag, just as the doctor was looking through her folder - the one the nurse left with him. She was quick to reach into her handbag for it. She realised her mum was the one calling and Gene wasn't ready to answer. Well, at least not here, so she muted it.

The moment she lifted her eyes, she met the middle-aged doctor's stare and then his smile.

"I'm sorry." Gene apologised alongside a brief smile and the doctor's smile broadened.

"No problem. That's okay." He commented, and Gene felt grateful. She watched as he stared into her folder again.

"So, Miss Genevieve..." He started, before lifting his eyes back up to her. "... what brings you to my office?"

Gene spared a second to gather her thoughts about how she was going to present her case.

"I throw up way too often these days and I'm always tired and sometimes, I feel drowsy... I have a job that requires constant attention. I just want to be myself again." She listed, and the doctor nodded his head as he listened. He waited a little more to know if she had anything more to say, but she didn't.

"Okay." He started, as he got ready to jot down into her folder. "Anything else?" He asked, and she barely shook her head as she tried to rethink.

"Do you have an appetite or does it come and go?" He asked, aiding her to recollect, and she thought some more.

"Maybe. I'm not sure." She replied, and he nodded, jotting down some things. Gene couldn't help wondering what he was writing. She'd simply thought to herself that he would prescribe some drugs and she can have them and be herself again. This was taking longer than she expected.

"What about your period? When last did you see it?" He queried, and she couldn't help the light furrow that surfaced between her brows. She lowered her eyes, as she wondered what that has got to do with her complaints.

"Um... last month, I guess. I'm not sure. I don't keep count." She replied as she tried her best not to seem frustrated with the process or the questions. She lifted her eyes to him.

"Hmm." He added, as he lowered his eyes and began jotting down a few more things. Gene couldn't help worrying about what 'hmm' meant.

"Excuse me, am I sick? I mean, do I have malaria or something worse?"

He chuckled a bit as he lifted his eyes back to her. "I don't think you have malaria or something worse, but first, before I give you a proper reply, you'll need to undergo a few tests."

"Tests?" she repeated, and he nodded as he handed her a written prescription.

"Take that to the lab and we can have your result in about two or three hours. I'll see you again after that." He completed and though she felt slightly upset things didn't go as expected, she stood to her feet, thanked the doctor and was soon out of the office.

She was back at the nurses' station asking for help with directions. First, a nurse led her to where she was to pay the bill and then to the lab where they drew little of her blood. Gene thought about leaving, but she concluded it was best to wait for the result since the lab attendant assured her the results could be out for a little over an hour.

She was back in the waiting area, the same spot she'd sat in. To her, it felt like ages of waiting, but she was also more concerned about the result of the test. The doctor assured her she wasn't as ill as she might have presumed, but that did little to concede her curiousness.

She reached into her handbag for her phone and redialed her mum's number. A few rings and the older lady's voice came through.

"Hello." Gene started as she got up from her seat and made her way out of the building, so she was audible enough and not pressurized by random stares to keep her voice down.