037| Now man and wife

🌻🌼

Gene sat like the proper woman she was. She felt nervous but did the right thing to keep her surprise in check. She found it hard to match the woman's gaze. Eventually, she shifted her eyes to Elliot, who sat by her side. She desperately itched to ask him why he hadn't informed her that his mother had flown in and was in his apartment.

Elliot could see the need for answers in her eyes, her littlest body movements and it made him feel bad. He should have told her the truth, but... it had all happened so quick. He'd never expected his mum to fly back into the country and she'd never told him she was planning to do so. A few hours ago, she'd called and told him she was at the airport. He had done what any normal person would have done. Doubt, he'd doubted her words. Yet, it would turn out that she was telling the truth. He could have called Gene, but he was on his way to the airport and he wasn't sure on how to tell her about his mother's surprise visit.

"So, Genevieve... how are you doing?" His mother started, a warm smile wearing on her face.

"I-I'm fine." She replied as she tried to steady a smile on her face. Nervousness was picking away at her.

"That's nice to hear... My name is Mrs. Esosa Miller and I'm Elliot's mother." She introduced even though she very well knew the young woman probably knew who she was. Gene simply nodded, not sure if there was anything she could say.

Gene watched her let out a light sigh. "Elliot told me of his plan to make you his wife... you don't object, right?"

Genevieve couldn't help furrowing her brows for a second. Is that a trick question? She wondered, slightly confused by her question, almost as if she did not know anything. Regardless, she nodded her head.

"Hmm... I see." She added as she looked away, somehow lost in thoughts. Genevieve could see it, the worry on her face and she knew it was because of her age difference to her son's. She couldn't blame her; any mother would worry about that detail.

Gently, she rubbed her hands on her laps together, an act of sheer nervousness and panic. What's going to happen if she doesn't accept their union? That's going to be another problem, and she wasn't sure about how to convince the older woman that she truly loved her son.

Gene felt a hand on hers and her eyes travelled with the hand and up to Elliot's face. He flashed her a brief and warm smile, gently squeezing her hand to assure her everything was going to be okay.

Esosa turned to them and quietly watched as they stared into each other's eyes, his hand holding onto hers.

Gradually, a light sigh left her lips as she stared at them. To be honest, she had made this journey with half her heart, hoping to convince her son out of this absurd union, but then, as she stared at them, her will wavered. She'd never seen her son stare at any woman the way he did with her. One thing was clear, she might have been wrong about Genevieve.

She cleared her throat, and they shifted their eyes to her.

"Genevieve." She started. "I can see you make my son happy, so... I would be a terrible mother if I do not welcome you into our family." She added and watched as a gradual smile drew across her face, a smile steadying on her face as well.

"Welcome, dear."

"Thank you." Gene appreciated, before sparing Elliot a look. He smiled at her and when his eyes met his mother's, he flashed her a simple smile.

"Thank you." He added, and she lightly nodded, happy to see her son happy.

~ ~ ~

The D-day had fast approached and, as per tradition, a day to the key event, Elliot had gone along with his mother and two other external family members. The last time he'd met them, he was young and barely recalled any of them. Regardless, he needed their help in performing the traditional rites.

Gene's family had welcomed them well enough. There were introductions, greetings exchanged, and they had welcomed them well enough to take their seats. Conversations started and soon, there was talk of bride price and a list of items such as kola nut, goat, and chicken to bring along on the crucial day. Thankfully, they weren't as excess as some lists could be.

They put out the refreshments and when everything settled, they said their goodbyes, to return the next day for the last event.

Genevieve couldn't quite recall the last time she'd dressed up in a complete traditional attire. Now, she was staring at her reflection as she had on a beaded blouse, double wrappers, headscarf and a beaded necklace. Gene sighed, excited but nervous. A part of her wishes she could walk out in something lighter, perhaps an English attire.

"It's time." Her mother called, and her nervousness kicked in. She shifted her eyes to her mother, who stared at her a little lovingly. Mrs. Ukaji drew closer and embraced her daughter in a warm hug. Gene hadn't expected that, but she was glad she did.

"Seeing you get married... this is the happiest day of my life." Mrs. Ukaji stated the moment she let go of the hug. Her joy reflected in her eyes and regardless of her first opinion on their relationship, she was glad her daughter was getting married to someone who owned her heart.

Queen and Mrs. Ukaji had escorted her from the inner chambers of the house and out into the living room where the guests sat. She'd knelt in front of her father as he poured some palm wine into a cup before handing it over to her.

She'd scanned around the room for her husband-to-be and when she sighted him, she walked up to him, kneeling in front of him and handing the cup to him. He smiled at her as he collected the cup, and she shyly smiled back at him and watched as he drank up to the last drop. Everyone cheered, and he stood to his feet, helping her up as well.

Together, they'd knelt in front of her father, who blessed them with prayers and dictating blessing into their lives. They spent the next period in rejoicing, and congratulating them both. Elliot held her hand in his as stared at her lovingly.

Afterwards, they'd rode home together. He'd gotten his driver's license, so he'd driven instead.

The next plan was a court wedding with Genevieve's parents, her brother, his wife, and Elliot's mum present. She'd dressed in nothing out of the ordinary. A simple white dress for her and a good white shirt on his part. They'd exchanged rings, signed in their signatures and then they were man and wife. Their families had congratulated them, wishing them the best, and they'd accepted with a full smile.

For reception, the family shared a lunch together and spent the rest of the day enjoying the gathering and the meaning behind it. Later that evening, they'd said their goodbyes and soon made their way back home.

That night in bed, resting in each other's arms, they'd found solace. Even though exhausted, they'd felt too excited about the future to fall asleep easily.

"I love you." He told her and she replied, "I love you too." She added with drowsy eyes as she flashed a weak smile.

Genevieve knew there was nothing as a perfect life. Problems might arise in the future, but as long as they had each other, they were going to scale through and someday, when the sun sets in the east, maybe the world would understand their love.

Several months later...

Esosa reached for her phone the moment she heard an alert. It was a message from her son, Elliot. She was quick to tap on it.

Congratulations. You're now a grandmother to two healthy baby girls.

A wide smile played on her face. "Thank you, Lord." She appreciated, slightly looking up, excited for her son.

A sigh of relief left her lips. "Now... I have to prepare to go back to Nigeria." She added excitedly before turning away, hurrying back into the bathroom.

THE END.