07| In their habitats

🌻🌼

Elliot pushed away from the table and began a light spin on the swivel chair he sat on. He had thoughts on his mind and questions that needed answers. Then, he lifted his eyes to Victor, who stood in front of him on the other side of the table. His eyes scanned through the papers within the folder with an intense focus. For a second, Elliot praised his seriousness.

"Dude, your sister..." Elliot started, unable to hold back his need for answers.

Victor spared him a glance. "Yeah?" He replied to let him know he was listening.

"Well, is she... married?" Elliot asked, a part of him hoping his friend didn't get offended by his question.

Victor lifted his eyes to him before raising his head. "No."

"Divorced?"

"No."

"Kids?"

"No. She's single and we're all pretty much searching on her behalf. Okay? Now, enough about my sister." Victor summarized, before laying the folder on the table in front of Elliot. He stretched out a pen to Elliot, who collected it once he stopped spinning.

"Now, once more, I've gone through the document. You go through it and if you're okay with it, sign below." Victor spelt out to him, and Elliot flipped document after document.

"Why so many?" Elliot asked, as he hated complicated works. He preferred the straightforward.

"They're just clauses and, well, details."

"Does it state I'm free to not show up at the office every single day?"

"Yes."

"Does it also state the period I might work here? The period we talked about?"

"Yes, but I'm still hoping you'll have it extended."

Elliot displayed a brief smile.

He wasn't sure about anything. He'd decided in a desire to have a drastic change in everything going on in his life and had never thought it through in full. All he knew was he needed to leave. Elliot didn't know how much longer he could hold his anger in. He'd done that for years. His full capacity was reaching its peak.

He drew in a deep breath before noting down his signature. He handed the pen back to Victor, who smiled his brightest. Victor stretched out a hand to Elliot for a handshake.

"Welcome to Starry Architect Limited."

Alongside a broad smile, he accepted the handshake. Soon, Victor was on his way towards the door and Elliot continued his spinning. Suddenly, Victor stopped and turned back to him.

"I forgot to tell you earlier. I've found the right apartment for you."

"Really?" Elliot asked, bright-eyed.

"Yes, but the landlord demands at least half of the payment in advance."

"Half?"

"Yeah, half of a year's payment."

A year?

Elliot queried in his mind, but he didn't think he was going to be there that long. At max, a few months, or maybe just a month. Nothing was sure. He didn't know how long his stay would be and wasn't sure anything would be strong enough to keep him here. He would just have to wait to see where the future takes him.

"But, it's cool. It's a great apartment. You can ask Gene."

Elliot lifted his eyes to him. "Your sister? Why?"

~ ~ ~

Gene twirled her pen between her fingers, released a light sigh, before lifting her eyes to the young woman seated in front of her beyond her desk. She watched as she glanced around, as if trying to get a quick look at the office before attempting to match her gaze. She couldn't, so she lowered their eyes.

Gene recognised her. She was the lady who had made her the topic of gossip in the restroom, but Gene knew she would not resort to revenge of any sort. She was simply going to do her job.

"I would like to know why you were rude to a customer." Gene started as calmly as she could.

"He swore at my family in Yoruba dialect because I told him there was nothing I could do about the fact that he had exhausted all the money in his savings account. He claimed I was lying and that the bank has usurped his money. Unfortunately for him, I can understand their dialect. I told him to apologise and take back what he said about my family but he flared up and created a scene." She narrated boldly, but Gene furrowed her brows at her.

"Are you sure that was all that happened?" Gene inquired, and the lady spared her a disbelief expression before lowering her eyes.

"Yes, ma'am." She replied, and Gene leaned back in her seat.

"He said he never mentioned your family."

The lady's jaw dropped at Gene's words.

"He's lying. Oh, lies. I clearly heard him..."

"Onome," Gene called, interrupting anything more she had to say.

"He's a customer. Meaning, they come first. I'm sure there was a calmer way you could have handled the situation."

"But..."

"This is your second strike. One more complaint about your attitude, you'll be clearing your desk." Gene threatened, and it was clear on the young lady's face how distasteful she was about how the situation came to end. Gene refused to pay attention to her expressions.

"Do you understand?"

"Yes ma'am." Onome replied without meeting her gaze, but the frown between her brows made it hard to go unnoticed.

"Good. You may leave." Gene declared, and the lady was up on her feet. She walked out without sparing one more glance at her boss.

Gene shook her head at her attitude. The young lady was full of herself and one too many times, she has tried to get on Gene's unpleasant side. Gene had to remind herself several times that she needed to be fair. Her dislike for her would not stop her from making the right judgement and today, she felt proud of herself for keeping her calm.

~ ~ ~

The bell rang several times, but Gene barely heard it. She was deep in her sleep. The sound of knocks came through the door.

Each second felt like it was directly on her skull. Gene lazily turned on her bed, vexed that someone was at her door on a Saturday morning. She didn't feel like getting up. She felt too weak and broken to make a stand. All she needed was a good rest.

"Gene!" Her eyes fluttered open upon hearing the familiar voice. Regrettably, she sat up. She gathered her energy and got up on her feet.

"Gene!"

"I'm coming." She replied as she made her way toward the door. She unlocked it and couldn't help yawning as she opened the door.

The moment her eyes fell on the man behind her brother, they widened by the second and she instantly shut her mouth.

"What took..." she slammed the door shut on their faces.

Victor blinked several times in disbelief before sparing his friend a look. Elliot was quick to subdue his smile, and Victor slightly furrowed his brows in confusion. His sister just slammed the door on his face and he could swear he saw a smile on his friend's face. He didn't find Gene's acting funny. For an unknown reason, he felt like the situation was odd.