018| What might the truth be?

🌼🌻

After dinner, Kainye appreciated the Ukajis for letting him into their home and for the delicious dinner. Mrs. Ukaji was all smiles and made sure her daughter was leaving about the same time. 'Escort him to the gates' were her words, and Gene mentally shook her head at her mother's behaviour. Gene was sure that if left it to her mother, she would've been sold by now.

Regardless, she said her goodbyes to her family, and it was a shame that her young nephew was already asleep. He was an early sleeper and she rarely ever got to see him.

Gene spared the gentleman by her side a glance as they made their way towards the gate and he did the same for her. He opened the gate on her behalf and she replied with 'thank you' before stepping out and he followed her. Soon, they both drew to a stop.

"That's my ride over there." Gene stated, as she pointed to the small black 2008 Toyota Camry parked by the side on her left. He nodded in accordance.

"And that's mine." He added, as he pointed to the 2007 navy blue Toyota Highlander parked to his right. They spared each other a glance, and he flashed her a brief smile.

Gene relived a light sigh. At least she wouldn't have to give him a ride or anything of that sort. Not that he was unpleasant to be around, but she simply hadn't gone past the stage of being strangers with him.

"Aren't you curious?" He asked, and she lifted her eyes to him. "I mean, you probably didn't expect to see me ever again, especially not in your parents' home." He broadened and Gene looked away.

"Not really. My mum must have said something to get you over. I apologise on her behalf. She's just... she means well for me."

"She didn't ask me over." He confessed, and she shifted her eyes back to him.

"Really? Then, why are you here?" She questioned, but before he could utter a word, she shook her head as she recalled her mistakes.

"I'm sorry. I haven't even apologised for saying what I said to you. It's... I mean I was not in a good place then. You should know, I'm sorry." She apologised as sincere as she could and he simply stared at her.

"And now?"

She stared at him, confused by his question.

"Does my perfume still repel you?" He questioned, a little clearer this time, and she opened her mouth to speak but was right away lost for words. He chuckled a bit, and she was a tad surprise he laughed at her rudeness.

"I won't lie. In a strange way, I found you intriguing."

"Intriguing?" she repeated, a little confused.

"Yes, and I would like to know you more. Maybe we could start over. Another date?" He explained what would seem like a proposal, and Genevieve simply fluttered her lashes a few times before a light crease formed between her brows.

Another date. She repeated in her mind.

~ ~ ~

Elliot's phone rang once more, and he stared at it as it laid on his desk. The caller ID displayed kiddo. He felt conflicted on whether to pick the call. Soon, it stopped. Barely a minute later, it was ringing, and he kept staring at the WhatsApp call.

Suddenly, he picked up the phone and slid on the screen to answer.

"Hello, Eli." A young boy's voice came through.

Elliot let out a light sigh. "Why do you keep calling?" He straightforwardly asked.

"Mum said you left. Did you really..."

"Yes. I'm very far away, so stop calling all the time." He warned without an ounce of sympathy in his voice and before he knew it, he could hear light sobs on the young boy's side.

Elliot sighed in frustration and irritation.

"Is it because of me? Because of what happened?"

"No." Elliot was fast in correcting his thinking.

"Look, this is something I've been thinking about for a while, so it has got nothing to do with you. okay?" His tone became a little softer, giving away the fact that he cares about the other person on the line.

After a few seconds of hesitation, the boy replied, "Okay." And Elliot felt a little relieved to hear him say that. "But... are you coming back soon? Mum misses you a lot, even if she doesn't say."

"I don't know and I'm not sure. Perhaps I might take longer than expected." Elliot lowered his eyes. "Mum... how is she doing?"

"She doesn't talk much but when she does, she assures me she's fine."

Elliot shut his eyes for a second as he tossed his head backwards. He knew exactly what that meant. His mother's usual anthem, 'I'm fine', but she never really was and most of the time, it pisses him off and that's what he didn't want to recall.

"I have to go."

"But..." Elliot disconnected the call, interrupting any other thing the young boy had to say. For a minute, he stood, staring into space, and a few memories came rushing back. He felt suffocated and knew he needed a little air.

~ ~ ~

Genevieve made her way towards the staircases after she was sure she'd locked her car properly. The first step and she almost bumped into someone. She lifted her eyes and met a pair of Elliot's, staring down at her. Awkwardly, she was first to take a few steps backwards, so he could descend onto the same level she was. He did exactly that, but Elliot was a little hesitant about simply walking past her and so was she. Yet neither knew exactly what to say.

Genevieve stepped onto the first staircase and suddenly felt a sharp pain in the lower part of her abdomen, which forced her to halt on any other movement. She shut her eyes for a second and in that moment, she worried about her baby. She'd never really felt this way before.

Drawing in a deep breath and gradually releasing it, she felt somewhat better and tried to take the next step. The pain returned, sharper and slightly heightened that she couldn't help physically reacting, her hand pressed down on the area that hurt.

"Are you okay?" He asked as he drew closer, placing a hand on her arm. He'd taken notice of her the moment she didn't seem herself. She barely spared him a glance and he could see the pain she was in reflected on her facial expression.

He didn't wait for a reply. He knew he would not get an honest one anyway, so he slightly bent and carried her into his arms, much to her surprise, as she stared at him wide-eyed. Yet she was quick to wrap her arms around his neck for fear of her safety.

"What... what are you doing? Put me down." She demanded with what little strength she had and yet the pain persisted.

"You need my help. You can close your eyes and pretend like I'm not here and I'll carry you safely to your door." He stated and though Gene wanted to argue until he left her standing on her own two feet, she couldn't. The pain was gnawing at her and she simply didn't have any strength to exchange words. Truthfully, she needed his help, so she lowered her eyes down, away from his face as she held on tighter to him.

He saw this as a go ahead signal and began making his way up the stairs. She was lighter than he'd unknowingly presumed.

Genevieve couldn't seem to keep her head down and eyes lowered. Gradually, she lifted her head, her eyes looking up to him, and for an unknown reason, she felt rather reluctant to lower them. Her heart raced faster than usual and Gene couldn't seem to normalize the beating.

What was it about Elliot that got her acting unlike herself whenever he was around? Why does her heart flutter in strange ways and... why was he so nice to her?