Beautiful Words (Loki Laufeyson)

Loki Laufeyson X Reader

Warnings: it's short, all fancy words are English not American English

------------------------------------------------------------------

(Y/N) walked into the living room where she saw Steve and Bucky sat with Loki who was clearly trying to read while the super soldiers tried to engage him in conversation.

"I love the smell that you get after it rains, that kinda earthy smell" Bucky inputted on the conversation.

"What are you on about Buck it doesn't smell after it rains" Steve laughed and Loki sent the pair a glare over the edge of the book.

"Yes it does Steve, you just don't pay attention" Bucky shot back. (Y/N) smiled as she located her phone on the side and slid it only her back pocket.

"petrichor" she hummed on her way back out.

"What?" Steve asked looking just as confused as Bucky and Loki, who had now given up on reading.

"petrichor. The smell after it rains, I like it too Buck" she smiled and walked out the room.

"Ha I told you it was a thing!" Bucky exclaimed triumphantly.

"Petrichor" Loki hummed in wonder.

~

"Hey" (Y/N) greeted as she slipped into the dining room chair. The conversation continued to buzz.

"So I was like boom.." Sam's voice lots in the mix of everyone else's.

"So if you combine nitrogen and" Bruce attempted to explain.

"Yeah so that's basically what the series is about" Steve said in between mouthfuls of food.

(Y/N) laughed quitely for a moment or two until Tony turned to her, an eyebrow cocked.

"What?" He asked.

"Anecdoche" (Y/N) giggled tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

"Great another one of your funny words" Tony groaned, he stayed silent for a moment and so did she catching the attention of the rest of the group. "Go on then tell us what it means" he said at last.

A smile curled into (Y/N)'s lips at his curiosity. She let out a small giggle as the team waited expectantly. Lokis eyes bore into her, as he leant forwards on the table to hear her better.

"Anecdoche, when everyone's talking, but no one is listening" she explained. Tony nodded at her use of the word. A few moments passed until Steve finally broke the silence.

"Remind me never to play Scrabble with you" he mumbled causing the group to erupt in laughter even Loki cracked a smile, although he was paying more attention to (Y/N) than anyone else.

~

"Mind if I join you" (Y/N)'s soft voice cut through the silence on the balcony. Loki tore his eyes from the stars and waved her over towards the seat next to him. She took her place, brushing a strand of (H/C) hair out of her face.

"Aren't you cold?" He asked, (Y/N) shook her head to indicate she was fine. Loki sighed, he wanted her to say one of her unusual words again, to explain what it was as if the word itself was the most delicate thing in the world. Her voice was like satin.

Loki looked back at the sky, he listened as (Y/N) exhaled a small breath.

"It's beautiful isn't it?" He said and cursed at himself. He had read poetry and literary masterpieces from across the nine realms, yet that was what he chose to say.

"It is" her soft voice cut through the still night "it's very ephemeral" her eyes flickered from the sky to Loki, only to accidentally meet his gaze.

"You know such fascinating words" he hummed, a pink tinge crosses her cheeks.

"I love beautiful words" was her reply, barely a whisper as she focused on his intense gaze.

"They aren't nearly as beautiful when anyone else speaks them" the words fell out of his mouth before he could stop them. Before she had a chance to reply he tore his gaze away from her and back to the sky.
"May I ask you something?" He said.

"Course" (Y/N) responded almost too quickly.

"What's the word for the feeling where your stomach feels all fuzzy and your heart feels like it might burst even when someone does just the simplest of things?" Loki questioned without looking at the woman. (Y/N)'s breath caught in her throat.

"Adulation" she hummed, they both turned to face each other "which is a fancy synonym for love" she breathed out. Lokis leaned in.

"Then I do think I'm quite hopelessly and utterly in love with you" his lips were almost brushing hers.

"Enamoured" her voice was so soft now, so quiet as if she was scared of speaking. But Loki heard and that was all he needed to connect his lips with her's.

Beautiful words, but not as beautiful as her.