Chapter 4

"August

"August."

Just keep walking, you're almost at the door.

"August!" I hear her repeat, slightly more out of breath this time and with just a pinch of annoyance.

A couple more steps.

Almost on cue a couple of freshmen run past me making me come to a halt and ruining my chances of getting away without hassle.

Fucking freshmen.

I can hear her steps getting closer, until finally falling into step with me.

"Why are you walking so fast? Did someone light your shoes on fire?" she asks, as if she didn't know why I had been actively ignoring her calls.

"Nope," I huff in annoyance, "but my ass is and I have a nice bath waiting for me at the house that will do just the trick to put it out."

"Bath? No! I'm throwing the party tonight, remember? You said you would come!"

"No, I clearly remember saying I had a date with Ben and Jerry. I think I'm gonna go to second base with them," I say, my voice monotone. "Or, would this be considered third? You'd think I'd know."

I continue walking, hoping she gets the hint, but, with her, it's like asking a kid to use their inside voices when they're out in public.

They just get louder.

"Come on, it's the beginning of Senior year. You can't spend your Friday nights cooped up in your room, especially when there's a party just around the corner. You know it's basically tradition, if you think about it," she says, batting her eyelashes at me. "I had to do it all by myself last year..." she trials off, as if I was completely to blame for that.

"Shit! I forgot to pack my bags!" I stop walking, only to have her run into my shoulder.

"Huh?"

"Aren't you trying to take me on a guilt trip?"

"I wouldn't dare," she lifts her hand to her chest in mock hurt, "but would it help convince you if I did? You don't even have to stay for the whole thing just the beginning and middle and part of the end... Come on, just say yes," she finishes, grabbing a hold of my arms to try to shake me into compliance.

"He won't be there, either of them" she adds, probably hoping to seal the deal. "He's taking her on a date tonight and Hunter won't be back until Thanksgiving break."

I shrug, acting like I don't care, when in reality there's a small fire literally brewing inside me. I'm just shocked the fumes haven't started oozing out of my ears yet.

We keep walking towards my car, with me cursing myself for leaving late today for school. If I would have left a couple minutes earlier I might have beaten that one red light and I might have not earned the furthest spot in this whole parking lot.