Chapter 5

When we get to her house, everything is pretty much set up

The coolers were already propped up against the wall, the sealed chips were next to some empty bowls just waiting to get served, and her stereo system was plugged up and ready to go.

We walk up the steps towards her room on the second floor, guiding me, as if I didn't know where I was going. 

This had been my home for a solid four months, before I left. It was when the affair became too obvious and the fights too loud that Aliyah had offered her home to me.

I spent most of my summer days here. Swimming in her backyard pool, barbecuing on the deck, playing pool in the recreation room they built in the basement.

Everything was fun and games, a distraction from my home life... until it wasn't. 

That was the summer it all began, when we all started getting closer to her older brother, Hunter. Two years older than us, Aiden practically worshiped him.

My eyes land on a picture framed at the top of the stairs. 

I feel my throat tighten at the sight of it. 

It's of all four us. Aliyah, Aiden, Hunter and me. We're sitting by the edge of the pool with Aiden and Hunter in the middle, arms around each others shoulders. I'm at one side, next to Hunter, leaning in with on of his hands gripping my hip. We're all smiling, happy and unaware of the hell starting to break loose.

We make it to her room and she immediately dives into her closet.

She pulled out dress after dress, each one shorter than the previous one, until she finally settles on a curve fitting fringed dress. It came up to mid-thigh, looking like a modernized version of a flapper dress.

"Have you decided on what you're gonna wear?" she asks, while looking over the shoes she has sprawled across the foot of her bed.

"What's wrong with what I'm wearing?" I ask, pointing down to my ripped jeans and baggy sweatshirt.

"Well, for starters, you look homeless."

"What? This is in right now," I say, standing up from my position on her bed to give her a good look at my outfit, "haven't you seen Kanye's clothes line. It's all the rage."

"Oh my gosh, please tell me you didn't just say his line is 'in style'. I could make those ugly ass outfits with a five year old and some scissors."

I roll my eyes, trying not to smile. "Okay, you may have a point, but-"

"Wait," she cuts me off, before going back in her closet, "I know just the dress!"

She pulls out a black satin mini dress. It has thin straps and a decent neckline, but the dress was just too short. If it was about six inches longer, I would've had no problem

"I think it would go great with the new image you have going on."

"New image?" I ask, pressing the dress against my body. It's soft material making me want to try it on even if I wasn't actually going to keep it on.

"You know the 'hot babe, I don't give a shit' thing," she says, picking up some black strappy heels.

"Should I take that as a compliment?"

"Unless you want to take it as an insult," she grins, "now, go get dressed. We still need to do our hair and makeup."

"Is it just me or have you gotten bossier?" I say while looking through her clothes for something that's not a piece of cloth on threads.

Although it was gorgeous, I needed something that would stay put without me having to worry about choosing between my ass or my breasts to advertise. I wasn't trying to confuse my fellow classmates into thinking they actually hired a hooker for the party.

"I like to think of myself as assertive," she says, moving on to her vanity to get her makeup started.

"Is there a difference?"

"Of course, one's empowering and the other one's a bitch," she shrugs.

After an hour of hair pulling and face poking, we're both ready. And, it's safe to say, I don't follow instructions very well.

I did let her do my hair and makeup, replacing the dark liner I had on by a palette compiled of shades of rose gold and switching from my normally straight hair into a sea of waves.

But, as for the dress, I sent it through the hole and straight to Wonderland.

Instead, I chose a light pink camisole top to go with my ripped jeans. It was very simple, but it was similar in texture to the satin dress, which is the reason it ultimately convinced me to try it on.

Aliyah had pinned her hair up in marcel waves, helping her with the flapper effect, and she opted for a darker makeup palette.

Standing side by side, she was definitely the one who stood out.

"Are you ready?" she squeals, giving herself last minute adjustments. "I think I heard a car pull up."

"Yeah," I smile, trying to match her excitement, while applying one last layer of my strawberry chapstick. 

I sure hope so. 

She heads towards the door before turning around and looking straight at me. "Just," she pauses, trying to find the right words, "try to have fun. Fun looks good on you."