Chapter 6

An hour and three shots later, I'm officially buzzed and the party is in full swing

You could say it's tasteful, but maybe just a little loud... that's just me though.

Aliyah disappeared on me about thirty minutes after her guests started arriving, something about forgetting to lock her parents room.

But, trust me, if any of these horny nymphos want to get it on, a locked door is not going to stop them.

You'd have better luck teaching a donkey to jump through hoops.

I make my way through the crowd, deciding on some fresh air, instead of another drink. The alcohol on the far side of the wall looked extremely tempting, but I was not trying to make a fool of myself tonight.

At least, not on purpose.

The breeze feels nice against my skin, sending the good kind of chills through my body. It was significantly colder tonight, but that was probably due to the clouds that refused to let the sun make an appearance.

Maybe I could just walk home?

It was a good 20 minutes, but it beats the trouble of trying to socialize with people I have no intentions of trying to get to know.

Which defeats the point of a party...

I take off the heels anyways and debate whether to go back in and switch into my boots. But, after weighing the pros and cons I decide it's in my best interest to avoid the risk of running into Aliyah.

She would definitely try to convince me to stay and, when that doesn't work, I don't see it past her to find a way to keep me by her side. Whether by glue or cuffs, she would find a way.

It will probably be late enough to sneak past my mom and whatever boy toy she has over.

I start towards the sidewalk, making sure I don't step on anything that could potentially amputate my foot. Knowing the tiny rocks are the ones I need to watch out for, they are no joke against the mass of your own body.

I thought getting drunk would be the magic potion to help me forget about him and the shithole my life has become, but that didn't seem to be the case.

Each shot just hit me with unwanted realizations I was not ready to face, most of them revolving Aiden.

He has moved on.

Found someone better.

I'm just the stupid girl he forgot about the second I left.

I don't know what I thought would happen when we saw each other for the first time, but it definitely wasn't this.

The few glances we have shared are enough to confirm the obvious.

He hates me.

And I want to believe that I hate him just as much, but I know I would only be lying to myself. And, I already do that to everyone else, I should at least be honest with myself.

I'm so lost in my own thoughts that when the sky graces me with the clap of thunder I almost have a heart attack on the side of the road.

And it only takes a couple more steps before I start to feel it.

The fist drop lands on the top of my hand, as if reminding me that things could always get worse.

"You have got to be fucking kidding me!" I yell out towards the sky that doesn't give a fuck if I make it home dry or not. It was obviously punishing me for leaving the party without telling Aliyah, among other things.

The light sprinkles turn into full buckets in just a couple of seconds, drenching me from head to toe.

"This is just perfect."

Headlights flash every once in a while, as I trudge forward, but all I want from them is to stay as far away from the curve as possible. The last thing I need is to be bathed in dirty road water.

My wishes go unanswered as a car, who obviously had an idiot for a driver, rushes by me, splashing my entire left side.

"Fucking asshole," I yell, even though he can't hear me.

The car comes to a halt on the side of the road, as if noticing me for the first time, before going in reverse.

Big mistake.

I jog to meet the car, before dumping the heels on the floor and heading straight to the passenger door. He hasn't rolled down the window but halfway when I start to verbally assault him, with every ounce of energy I have left.

It's not like I can run him over.

"You fucking idiot," I push against the door, "are you blind? I don't believe for one second you didn't see me walking there. Now I'm cold, there's shit all over me, and... and you're laughing!" I finish, noticing the laughter coming from inside the car.

I force my hair away from my face to take a good look at the driver, wanting to at least know his face before someone finds him six feet under.

Recognition hits me like a slap to the face as I glance from his tattooed arms up to those golden brown eyes for his.

Emily's brother.

"You're kinda cute when you're fired up. Your cheeks get puffy and your face turns completely red," he laughs, invigorating me even more.

"Ugh. People like you are the reason I have lost faith in humanity." I push off the door of his car and pick up the heels I discarded on the sidewalk. "You are an asshole," I yell back to him, enunciating every word.

I hear the roar of the engine pull up next to me, but I refuse to give him another moment of my time.

"Come on, I was just joking. You're cute all the time!" he says, but I can feel him trying to hold in his laugh. "Let me give you a ride."

Don't look at him.

I continue walking, completely ignoring him.

Although a ride sounded like the best thing in the world right about now, I wasn't going to let it come from him.

The sound of the engine dies down and the door slams shut, followed by heavy footsteps.

"Come on, let me give you a ride," he says, trying to keep up with me. "I promise to behave like a gentleman."

If only the rain had gone down a little bit, I wouldn't be so conflicted right now.

Because, my pruney fingers and toes are dying for me to accept.

"How do I know you're not a serial killer?" I ask, knowing all it will take is for him to ask me one more time before I give in.

"You don't," he laughs, "but isn't that the fun of it. You don't know whether you're getting chocolates or a knife to the back."

I look away, trying to hide the grin on my face from his comment, not wanting him to know that sarcasm is one of my biggest weaknesses.

"Is that a smile?"

Shit, too late.

"Shut up," I say, trying but failing to keep a straight face.

"I'm sorry for not paying attention and splashing you," he says, making me turn to face him when he touches my arm, "let me make it up to you."

He asked one more time, right?

"I guess today could be a good day to die."

It's not like I haven't had a knife in my back before.

🔹🔹🔹🔹

Please don't forget to Vote and Comment!