Chapter 10

-With Kamui and Kotai-

-Narrator-

Kamui, Kotai, Maiko and Toru are making their way toward the village of Shirakawa where the two escapes hope to find a place to live. The young albino is walking at the front next to Maiko as Kamui and Toru are silently following, the blonde having a comically big bag for her stature.

"So..." Toru looks at her fellow traveler. "Why did you come in Hoshido?"

The knight turns her head in the maiden's direction. "We weren't really aiming for Hoshido to begin with, our objective was to get out of Nohr the fastest possible. Hoshido was the closest place we could find, so here we are." She explains with a neutral voice.

The curvaceous girl nods at that. "What happened for you to flee with a eight years old child?"

"You don't need to know." The petite girl says with the same indifference.

The two stay silent after this brief exchange but for different reasons. Toru does not want to annoy the girl who thrown a eighteen years old boy over her shoulder, and said girl just likes to stay silent.

After a moment, Kotai runs next to the knight and point at the hills. "Miss Emiya! Look at those rice fields!"

Only for Kamui to sigh. "Kotai, the rice fields are the fields covered with water, not the line like ones, you are showing me tea plantations."

"Oh... Hehehe..." The young boy smiles sheepishly. "I knew it..." He says looking away.

"Right." The knight acquiesces, the shadow of a smile crossing her face.

"Ara ara, you should pay more attention to what is going on around you." Toru tells him while putting a hand over her mouth to hide her smile.

Kamui grabs the albino's shoulder and keeps him next to her. "Miss Emiya?" He stares at her with a questioning look.

"..." She does not answers but looks intensely at the tall girl.

"Oh? What is the matter Emiya-chan?" The latter asks, her smile not wavering.

"What can be qualified as matter is anything that has a mass and takes space." She says with a serious face.

Toru, Maiko and Kotai blink in surprise as they stop walking. "What!?"

Kamui turns around with an innocent gaze. "You asked me what was the matter, I simply answered you." She does not stop and leaves the others standing in the middle of the road dumbfounded.

Maiko is the first to get out of her trance. "I don't understand what you mean."

"How so?" The petite girl asks.

"'What's the matter', it is like 'What is the problem'." She starts. "So what you are saying does not make sense." She says with a frown.

"So you were talking about this 'matter'..." Kamui responds with fake surprise.

"There are different matters?" Kotai appears next to his guardian.

"Hum... How should I put it?" She thinks for a moment. "You see, matter is what everything is made of, from wood to iron or even the air."

"So iron is the same thing as wood?" Maiko frowns a little.

"No. What you understood was that the matter is a unique object. But what I am trying to tell you is that there are a lot of different matters, like there are a lot of letters, they are all different but they are still letters." The knight tries to explain.