seven - cake phone

you drove as soon as possible to the msby's building, walking over to the coach.

"y/n!" hinata cheered.

"y/n? gasp. y/n!!!" bokuto waved. atsumu also waved while sakusa just stood there.

"hey guys! i'm just here to deliver this to you." you said, giving the coach papers. it was probably the list of items that they were going to have and wear during training.

"oh, thank you." the man said. you waved goodbye at them, getting ready to leave.

"oh, y/n! how's your new job?" bokuto yelled.

"it's going well." you smiled.

*****

everyday, you assisted kenma running a few errands, helping him with products, and even helping him during meetings and streams.

but he'd always reject you to lunch.

"lunch?" you asked politely.

"no thanks." he said. you started to give up. i mean you literally tried every single day for a couple of months now. you knew more about him.

hmmm he always sits in a chair all day. either in his desk or at home, streaming.

"okay, kenma....." you sighed and slouched. he was working on his laptop and you just stood there with your clipboard.

you know what, maybe it will be okay. i'm visiting my aunt this weekend anyways...i won't exactly feel bored or down about getting rejected...again.

"oh, can you drop this box off to them again?" kenma asked, pointing to a box of items. it was a bunch of gifts to msby black jackals.

it's been a while since you've seen them. you were too busy and tired from visiting.

"sure!" you grabbed the box and took it to the parking lot. but you forgot the keys.

"dammit, i'm so stupid." you facepalmed yourself. you had to take the elevator back to kenma's office.

"hey, kenma?" you knocked.

"yeah? come in." he said.

"hey, i forgot the car-" your phone buzzed so you picked it up. it was from your aunt.

"hey y/n! sorry, but uhm this weekend i'm not sure if you can visit, but i'll let you know this weekend, alright?" she said. you lowered your head, tippie toeing outside. kenma just tilted his head.

"yeah, sure. no worries!" you laughed.

"thank you, y/n. also, will you ever talk to your mother...? i think she misses you." your aunt said.

"hm," you hummed.

"no, i don't think i will. i cant. and i know she doesn't miss me. she's never called ever since she's kicked me out." you started.

you were tearing up again.

god, why am i like this. it's been years...

"anyways, i got to go. love you." you said.

after hanging up, you walked inside and grabbed the keys. kenma was just looking at you blinking.

"is something wrong?" you asked him.

"uh, was that you're mom?" he softly asked. your eyes widened a little. he was actually asking you a personal question.

it was bittersweet though. you were glad, but hated this topic.

"uh, no....that was my aunt. i can't ever face my mom." you bowed your head, dashing out of the room.

"that was awkward." you sighed, walking to the car.

*******

when you went to the building, the fan girls almost ran you over. you had to hide though just in case rumors spread again.

you ended up giving the box to a security guard.

at home, however....you were calling kuroo about how you were going to visit your aunt and how stubborn kenma was.

he refused to eat lunch with you, but today he actually tried to get to know you.

"hm, kenma can be a little distant and quiet. he's not good with making friends with new people." kuroo said.

"what? he doesn't seem quiet to me...." you trailed off.

"well if he asked you something, that means he's getting comfortable with you. so keep doing what you're doing and you'll have lunch with him in no time." he smiled.

"tha-" you gasped as your phone fell into the batter.

"shoot! nononono....." you complained, trying to dust all the flour and egg off. it was no use, though.

"crap."

on the other hand, kuroo was having problems with the call, too.

"hello? hello? y/n?" kuroo asked again.

"helloooo. y/n? did you get kidnapped?" he yelled through the phone.

kuroo was just confused. did you get kidnapped or perhaps mugged. he was a little worried, too. so he called kenma.

"hey kenma?"

"what..." kenma yawned.

"y/n hung up on me and won't answer her phone." kuroo scratched his hair.

"let it be, she probably dropped it in the toilet or something. you know she's clumsy." kenma smiled.