nineteen - mom returns

_

you were up late, working at night. although kenma nagged you so much to go home, you refused to.

"i need. to finish. this." you squinted. your eyes were probably getting so dry now.

"sigh, fine. i'm going home first. but i'll leave the car for you since it's dark, okay?" he asked. you smiled at how thoughtful he was.

"okay!" you thanked him.

now you were way more motivated to finish your work. you started to type type type away and finish up the papers that were due soon.

now it was about 2 am and you were done with work. so you locked the room turned off the lights and so on.

then you went to the parking lot and drove to kenma's house. you practically lived there now since he always let you come over.

and you were driving his car, too. so might as well.

you yawned, using the keys to open the door. kenma wasn't asleep. in fact he was playing video games.

"kenma! go to sleep." you said walking to the living room. he was playing another video game that you couldn't recognize.

"wait...almost done." he said.

you took off your jacket and got washed. you kinda had some spare clothes since you've been technically living here for a while.

after you washed up, you noticed kenma was still playing video games. he was starting to look lifeless.

"alright, times up kenma." you said waving a hand in front of his face.

he frowned. "but—"

"no buts. just play all day tomorrow. now go to sleep." you persisted. kenma sighed before finally giving up.

"fine, fine. you win."

_

you woke up on kenma's extra futon. kenma was already awake.

he just never sleeps, huh.

you got up, getting washed up and refreshed. it was like 9 am. and since kenma was working from home today, you were going to stay home, too.

"do you have a stream today?" you asked, yawning. kenma shook his head.

"nah, but i gotta film something."

you nodded, walking to the kitchen. you were going to make coffee. you scrolled through your phone and noticed people were still posting about you and kenma.

the news wasn't going to die out any time soon. and then you went to sakusa's social media pages.

comments were flooded about you and sakusa being step-siblings.

"sigh, people need to give sakusa a break." you face palmed yourself. even atsumu, hinata and bokuto's pages. you felt really bad.

then, the doorbell rung.

who could be here at this hour....kuroo? yaku?

"i'll get it." you yelled to kenma.

"okay, thanks." he said, gluing his eyes to the nintendo. you waved your hand, walking to the door.

before opening it, you looked through the peephole. and to your surprise, your mother was there.

"oh shit!" you muttered running away. then you ran back and took your shoes. you were now shaking.

again, your mother appeared in front of you. the last time you actually held a conversation with her was a few years ago.

"y/n? what's wrong?" kenma asked, getting up. he even put down his nintendo.

"my mom! she's at the door." you widened your eyes. kenma's eyes were widened, too. and he looked a little worried.

"i'll answer it and tell her you're not home." he said, before opening the door.

you hid in the other room, still listening to what your mother had to say.

"hello?" kenma asked softly.

"hey, you're kozume kenma, right?" your mother asked. even her voice irritated you. you had so much resentment towards her.

"yes, i am." kenma replied, tucking his hair behind his ear. "is y/n here?" she asked.

kenma shook his head. "no."

"do you know where she lives? i need to talk to her." your mother said. kenma shook his head no. he felt bad for lying, but he knew you weren't ready to talk to your mom.

"do you know anyone that does? i heard her step brother is sakusa now. and you're her boyfriend." she said in disbelief. she didn't buy the step brother part.

"no, sorry i don't." kenma furrowed his eyebrows.

"well, sorry for interrupting then. goodbye." your mother said, turning around. she then walked away and kenma shut the door.

"she's gone." kenma leaned against the wall, sighing. he placed his hand against his heart. "phew."

you ran over to kenma and hugged him. "thank you so much." he patted your head, smiling. "no problem."

"i'm surprised you were nervous." you said.

"of course i was. she's someone you dislike and have issues with and i'm your boyfriend."

you warmed up when he said he was your boyfriend. it was true, but it felt like a compliment.