Preperations

Since that day, visits to Zargun's office at the law firm became weekly. Usually, they were pretty nerve wracking, but it did feel good to know peridot was getting her justice.

21 days had gone by. It was the night before the first trial. Zargun had shown them videos of how a normal court proceeding would work and even re-enacted what it would look like. But even still, having to testify before a judge in the same room as your rapist is one of the scariest things you could ever be told is going to happen within the week, let alone the next 24 hours. Not even.

They were set to start at 8 AM sharp and leave sometime around 4 pm ish.

8 hours of anxiety, triggers, and bad memories fallowed by stern authoritative voices ringing all around the room and a jury of 12 random strangers hearing all about the scariest part of Peridot's entire life. A part of her life that she preferred to keep to herself and her closest loved ones. But then again, here she is now, pacing her and her girlfriend's shared dorm.

"Hey, you've been circling that table longer than usual, peri. Everything ok?" Lapis asked.

"Just fine thanks for asking" peridot responded sarcastically.

"Rude" lapis replied, matching the half-serious nature of this conversation.

Peridot stopped and plopped herself down on the couch. "Sorry. I'm just- damnit English why do you have to suck? I dunno. Scared?"

"I get it. Trust me, I do," Lapis replied consolingly.

"I know. And I'm glad I have you in my life," peridot said, calming down a little.

Lapis got up from her bed and sat down next to her girlfriend, offering to put her arm around her, but having her arm nudged away. Lapis took the cue that she wanted space, so she scooted away slightly and leaned against the arm of the futon.

"I believe in you, though. You're strong," Lapis reassured.

"I'm nothing compared to you, though," peridot said in admiration.

"Trust me, I'm not as strong as you think," lapis said, adverting her eyes.

"Agree to disagree," peridot said, her once-normal confident, yet perky tone shining through her newer, quieter and more anxious one.

      Lapis chuckled in response.

      "You know, maybe you'll feel better to come pick something to wear to the proceeding tomorrow. Would that help?" Lapis offered, getting up from her spot.

       Peridot nodded, getting up with her and walking over to her clothing drawer.

       They spent a good fifteen minutes digging through clothing and making smalltalk until they could find something nice.

       Lapis placed a navy blue sheath dress and black boots on the living room table so she would remember that was what she would be wearing the next day.

       Peridot fallowed shortly after, placing a suit and dress pants on the table, somewhat close to lapis's attire.

       "This helped a lot. Thanks for doing this with me," peridot said.

      "Any time, love. I'm going to bed. Want to get at least 5 hours in before the proceeding. I want to keep my panic attacks to a minimum," lapis said with a chuckle.

      "Yeah, that's a good idea. I'm gonna go grab a snack. Night laz," peridot replied to her girlfriend.

      "Night"