Chapter 5 - When Tragedy Struck

"I promise, everyone knows you're coming to Christmas dinner."

It was clear that neither Crissy, nor her parents, nor Willow expected me to be there. I sat down awkwardly as Crissy fixed me another plate and regardless of our friendship and how we care for Ronnie in our own ways, we felt very awkward. Ronnie obviously did not let anyone know that I would be here today, thank god it was long after presents were opened. After dinner, everyone went to watch How The Grinch Stole Christmas in the living room since Willow asked for it and I noticed Crissy had pulled Ronnie aside to talk. I felt a little uncomfortable, sure, but I didn't want to assume anything. When I heard a smack, I immediately got up and went to Ronnie's defense.

"How about we take this somewhere Willow can't see or hear?"

"Don't tell me how to be a mother," Crissy snapped.

"Crissy!" Ronnie scolded.

"No, Ronnie, she's right. Regardless, you two have had a nice friendship until today. Let's just swallow the awkwardness and enjoy Dr. Seuss."

"Fine," she groaned.

"Ronnie, I need to talk to you."

"What's up?"

"You didn't tell anyone I would be here, did you?"

"Of course-"

"If you're gonna lie about things that don't matter, then I'll walk right out of this relationship because those lies will lead to huge ones." He bit his bottom lip and swallowed his pride while struggling to find words. Instead, he just nodded. "Now I am gonna go say goodbye to Willow and everyone else and see myself out."

"Okay."

"Bye, Willow! I got some things to do at home but I will see you soon, okay?"

"Okay, Zara! Bye."

"Hey," Ronnie called out, chasing me outside. "Zara I ugh...I'm sorry."

"I know. Call me when you can," I smiled.

Well, awkwardness aside, Crissy can cook really fucking well. The next morning I got a text from Ronnie asking me what I was doing for New Year's. I giggled and asked if everyone else would know that I was spending it with him. He replied that it would just be the two of us. I raised my eyebrows and replied with a winky face. I then got an apologetic phone call from Crissy. I explained that I understood her defense and that she did not need to apologize.

I got ready for my job at the country club today and smiled at myself in the mirror. I was actually very proud of my curves today and I wasn't sure why. I took this newfound confidence and went to hop in my Honda when I saw Jim leaning against his Chevy. I smiled and waved before climbing into his car and thanking him for the ride to work. When I hopped out of the car, I gasped at Jim leaning in for a kiss. I slapped him across the face and told him to never do that to me ever again.

During work, I found myself distracted by what happened and contemplated telling Ronnie about it. I started typing out the text while I was on break when Aylee distracted me with her presence. She explained that she went to her parent's house for the holidays and I explained what happened between me and Jim.

"I can't believe he would do that," she gasped. "Not only is he supposed to be your mentor, but he knows your fucking history!"

"I know. I'm not sure what to do. I have group this week and I'm almost scared to go."

"Then don't go, we'll find you another group. What time is your shift over, I'll come pick you up."

"I get off at eight but I might stay later to help clean up."

"So nine?"

"Nines good. If you're not here in time, I'll just wait in the lobby."

"Kay."

The last rich person left after giving me a fifty dollar tip and I started stacking chairs in the bar before mopping the floor. Once that was done, I went to clean off the bar and smiled as I waved goodnight to the cook. Sherry, the manager, tossed me the key to lock up and I told her I would right after I counted down my drawer. I sat in the back office for roughly an hour to make sure my drawer was perfect when I heard some glasses clinking. I went to check the noise when I saw a man standing with his back to me. When he took his hood off and turned to face me, I realized it was Jim.

"Jim," I gasped.

"Hey, Zara."

"What-what are you doing here?"

"I came to take you home."

"Oh. Well thank you but...I ugh-ahem, Aylee is giving me a ride."

"Maybe I should wait here then."

"You're really not supposed to be in here, Jim. I-I could get fired."

"We don't have to tell anybody. Especially not that piece of shit boyfriend of yours who thinks he's a rockstar."

I immediately ran into the back office and locked the door. I turned just in time to see Jim slam into the door, causing the wood to buckle. I reached into my apron searching for my phone when I realized I left it behind the bar. I looked up to see Jim holding it screen out to show me he was calling Ronnie. When he looked down, I dialed 911 with the office phone and set it to the side for dispatch to hear.

"Jim, get out of the kitchen. Palms Resort would fire me for having you in here."

"I'm not going anywhere, honey. I want your little boyfriend to hear how a real man makes a girl scream."

"Jim, please go away!" I sobbed. "The police are coming."

"They won't make it in time."

"NO!"

Jim slammed himself into the door again and again before wrapping his hoodie around his fist and breaking the glass. He reached in and unlocked the door before coming to stand in front of me. He grabbed me by the throat and brought me to stand before lifting me off the ground.

"You think you can get away with teasing me the way you do? Better yet, you think it was nice to slap me after all I've done for you? Huh? I helped you get that house, that car, I even drove you to the hospital after you know who threw you down the stairs."

"J-Jim," I gasped.

"Jim!" Aylee shouted.

"Get the fuck back, bitch!"

Aylee rushed him with her bat and he tossed me aside, my body slamming against the stainless steel fridge. As I gasped for air and coughed I heard a smack, followed by Aylee screaming. I looked up, only to be kicked in the face. I felt him grab my ankles and flip me over before shoving the skirt of my dress up around my hips. He was about to take off my underwear but the police got there in time. A female officer ran to my aid as the cops tazed him and I was completely in shock. I watched them wheel Aylee out and I said nothing as I was ushered into the back of an ambulance,

"That's my girlfriend!" a familiar voice called out. "That's my fucking girlfriend! Zara!"

"Ronnie," I sobbed, clutching his jacket and pulling him to me, "he tried to-"

"Shh, it's okay. I'm here, I'm here."