Seven

Lazy water droplets dripped from a faucet straight into a stainless steel surgical sink, each drop reverberating in the cold scrub room, yet none of the two men blinked or dared to turn it off

Seth's mouth felt drier than the Namib Desert. The air was suddenly brittle, at the brink of shattering into tiny millions of pieces. No one spoke. What was there to say anyway? It was clear, if the man wanted to apologize or at least if he had the decency to, he would have done so already. After all it was now five days since Seth's incident with Dr. Bravucci in this very same OR.

This time around it was Seth's surgery, he was the lead surgeon in an open appendectomy and Dr. Bravucci was going to be his observing attending. Seth tried to act nonchalant, it was a decent effort though futile in the end. His hands ended up clenching, anger seething inside his veins. The struggle not to lash out like a loose canine became stronger by each passing second.

"You—" Seth let out a loose tortured wheeze of breath, "—you're an absolute asshole. You know that, right?"

"At least I'm not the one getting sucked off by different guys every other night yet I have a girlfriend I go home to everyday." Fuck! That sounded like a bitter ex.

Seth's vile intensified eyes locked with Leonardo's. There was no softness in that gaze. "So much for being professional. For the record I don't have a girlfriend, not that it's any of your business to begin with."

A disconcerted Leonardo later on cleared his throat, "I was out of line, and..."

The scrub room door flew wide open interrupting Dr. Bravucci from finishing off his statement.

"I'm not late, am I?"

Damn intern!

Dr. Bravucci's eyes still resting on Seth, replied, "Not at all."

It was coincidentally the same intern who got to scrub in on Leonardo's valve replacement. She was so theatrical for no reason, wiping off a never existing sweat bead on her forehead. "I thought I was late oh my god you don't know how much I ran to get here!"

No one responded to that.

The intern then observed the two doctors with an aloof judgment as she continued to scrub her hands and arms. She could clearly sense the tension between the two men so she decided to heighten up her speed. It was almost unbearable to be in the same room with them. 

"Can we move past this, I mean honestly..." Leonardo finally started as soon as the intern was out of the way.

Scrubbing his hands under the running faucet, he desperately wanted Seth to say something, anything. Cold shoulders were not part of his aura. He hated silence, it made him feel highly uncomfortable.