Chapter Seven - The Enemy

As the day went on, we realized how much walking we would be doing. Transfiguration was across the school but thankfully it was only on the first floor, in Class 1. Flying was outdoors, in the courtyard, which was another walk across the school. Charms was held in Class 99, in the South Tower, which wasn't too far of a walk, but a walk none-the-less. History of Magic, was on the first floor, held in Class 4F, which was another walk across the school. They then went to lunch, which was quite close to History Of Magic. Then Defence Against The Dark Arts was held on the first floor in Class 104 in the North Tower, which wasn't too far. Herbology was held out in the Greenhouse, which was right next to the North Tower so we had something to be grateful for. And then of course, Potions was in the basement, which was another hike across the school.

Boy, would we be fit by the time we finished our first year.

We had somehow made it through almost the entire day, although we were indeed exhausted.

Luckily, the Hufflepuff's and Gryffindor's had some classes together so I didn't have to worry about never seeing Ron, Hermione, and Harry.

As we made our way down the stairs to Potions, I shivered. The basement was cold and there was barely any light, only the lights of the few torches that were bolted to the wall.

"My feet hurt." Hannah whined, for what seemed like the thousandth time that day.

"Bloody hell, you whine a lot." The five of us turned around to see Draco standing there, an annoyed look on his face. "I think that's the fourth time I've heard you complain just today, Abbott."

"Well they do!" She whined once more, annoying Draco even further.

"Maybe if you weren't so whiny, you could find a boyfriend." He laughed at his own comment, his two friends laughing in unison with him.

"Draco, that wasn't very nice." I said. I was already frustrated with my class schedule, I didn't need a bully picking on my friends.

"And you think I care? Look, I'm just saying what I think. And what I think is that your friend is an annoying little twit."

"And I think you're a rude prat, but you don't hear me saying anything about that. So piss off."

"For a Hufflepuuf, you're not very friendly."

The other students could feel the tension between the two in the air. It almost seemed as though they would smack each other across the face, had it not been for Snape's interruption.

"Students. Let us not have a fight on the first day."

Draco straightened up immediately, acting as though nothing had happened. "Of course, Professor. Who would do such a thing? Certainly not me." Draco shot a smug look at me, and I had to restrain myself from punching the look right of his face.

Snape rolled his eyes, and let the students into the classroom. Just like the hall, the classroom was dark and cold.

Hannah and Susan sat down next to each other, Hannah quietly whispering about how annoying Draco was. Tonks sat down by herself and one of the first year Slytherins sat beside her. I sat down next to Emmie, hoping that I could put all that drama behind me.

It didn't seem so, because Draco sat down at the table next to me.

"You've got to be kidding me." I whispered under my breath.

"Just take deep breaths. He hasn't said anything." Emmie said, placing a hand on my back to calm me down.

"Yet."

Once all the students had taken their seats, Professor Snape began lecturing. I did my very best to listen, but I found myself getting distracted by Draco almost constantly. When I thought about getting distracted in class, I had figured it would've been because of a book, not Draco Malfoy.

"Would you stop staring at me?" Draco hissed under his breath.

I didn't even realize I had been staring. "As if I would ever look at you."

"Well you are right now, and it's distracting. So, if you would kindly stop."

"You? Asking kindly? Didn't even know you could do that."

"Ms. L/N. Mr. Malfoy. Do we have a problem?" Professor Snape whipped around from the board and stared directly at the two of us.

"Not at all sir." I answered, hoping that Snape wouldn't get me in trouble on the very first day.

"Good." He turned back around, and continued with his boring lesson plan.

"Now you've gone and done it." Draco whispered, clearly not taking Snape's hint to be quiet.

"Me? I did not nothing. You were the one who started whispering at me." I retorted. "Besides, what's so wrong with me staring? Never had a pretty girl look at you before? Does it make you nervous or something?"

"I already said, it's distracting."

"And bringing it up doesn't make it any less distracting. Now I'm distracted cause you had to open your big mouth and say something."

"L/N! Malfoy! I will not tolerate your incessant arguing in my class. Detention, after class, for both of you!"

I hadn't realized that both Draco and I had grown louder and louder in our conversation. Had Snape not yelled at us, we most likely would've begun yelling ourselves.

"This is all your fault." Draco whispered, his last comment to me before the end of class.

I thought about snapping back, but figured it would just get me in more trouble.

"Emmie, let the twins know where I'm at, and tell them to wait for me, if they can." I whispered.

Emmie nodded, not daring to say a word. She didn't want to be stuck in detention with Draco and I.

As Potions ended and everyone else left the class, Draco and I stayed seated. I thought about moving to another table, one across the class maybe, but figured Snape would just yell at me if I did.

"Did either of you learn anything, anything at all, from today's lesson? Or were you too busy bickering to pay attention?" Draco and I looked down at our desks, not daring to make eye contact with our Professor. "You will look at me when I'm addressing you." We both reluctantly made eye contact with Snape, and his glare was ice cold. "Pay attention in my class. Unless you'd like to fail. For your interruption today, two points will be deducted from Hufflepuff and Slytherin." Snape looked disappointed in Malfoy, seeing as Snape was head of the Slytherin house and Malfoy had just lost them points. "30 minutes of detention for both of you. Neither of you will speak, 5 minutes will be added to your detention time for each word you speak."

With that Snape went to his desk, presumably planning tomorrow's lesson.

Detention, on my first day no less. What would my father think? Would they contact my father for something as trivial as this? I hoped not.

I sat in silence , wishing I could be anywhere in the world but here. I wished I could be blowing up toilets with the twins, no matter how stupid it sounded.