Chapter Twenty - A Losing Battle

Over the course of the next few days, Draco, Hermione and I began to spend a lot of time together. Most of my other friends had seemingly disappeared from my life.

George seemed to not want anything to do with me, seeing as how he was now taking alternate routes to class to avoid me. I didn't see Fred much, his time was mostly spent in company with Emmie. I only saw Tonks, Emmie, Hannah and Susan during class, during meals, or after lights out. Ron had begun to avoid Hermione, leaving Harry to pick between the both of them.

Despite not seeing my friends, I felt happy. Draco and Hermione were good, and appreciated, company. I was quite upset from whatever was going on between George and I, so having them around was nice.

Draco, Hermione and I spent a good deal of time in the library, at Hagrid's, or just walking to class together. I can't remember a moment when I wasn't hanging out with them.

One fall morning, as Draco, Hermione, and I all walked to class, Fred and Emmie ran out in front of us, hand in hand.

They were laughing hysterically, faces flushed red. They were both out of breath, but still looked happy as ever. Emmie's smile didn't disappear as she noticed us. Her hand, however, did slip from Fred's quite quickly.

"Hey Y/N! Been awhile, huh?" She was still smiling.

"Emmie, it's been three hours." I said, giggling at her.

"It has? I hadn't noticed." She smiled, not at me, but seemingly at the universe, as if thanking it. She glanced at Fred. "The past few hours have been, uh, interesting."

Fred smirked. "Extremely."

"What have you two been up to?" I asked, smirking. Hermione and Draco were doing their best not to laugh.

Fred and Emmie shared a smile, one that meant they were clearly causing trouble. "Funny you should ask-" Fred began, but was quickly cut off by a loud bang.

"WEASLEY! CAUSON! YOU GET BACK HERE RIGHT NOW BEFORE I EXPEL YOU BOTH!" McGonagall's voice rang throughout the hallway, causing everyone in the vicinity to become alert.

"We better get a move on." Fred grabbed Emmie's hand without warning and her face looked even redder than before. "Nice seeing you all!"

With that, Fred took off down the hallway, Emmie in tow. "Hey! We'll talk later, ok?!" Emmie screamed back as her and Fred ran around a corner.

"Ok!" I yelled back.

I turned back to see McGonagall leaving a classroom, her robes and face stained with pink paint. "Oh those too." Her voice was stern, yet endearing. She took off her glasses, did her best to rub the paint off them, and placed them back on her nose. "Reminds me so much of Potter and Black." She said to no one in particular, seemingly thinking of fonder memories.

She turned to me. "You wouldn't happen to know where they've run off to, would you L/N?"

"Nope." I said smiling, lying straight through my teeth just like the twins had taught me to do.

She smirked and rolled her eyes. "Right then." She walked back into the room from whence she'd come, muttering and smiling to herself.

Draco, Hermione and I continued walking. "Ya know, those two would make a good couple." Draco said, thinking aloud.

"We all think that." I said. "Neither of them seem to realize it though. I think they just need to sit down and have an open conversation about their feelings." I explained.

"You give really good advice. You should try listening to your own advice sometime." Hermione quipped, nudging me with her elbow.

"What do you mean?" I asked, although I was sure I already knew where this was going.