Chapter Nineteen: Blood Means Nothing

For the next few days, I didn't see George much. He didn't walk me to class, didn't sit next to me at lunch, and we didn't hang out after class.

I saw Fred quite a bit, seeing as he spent a good chunk of his time with Emmie, but every time I asked him about George, he'd get quiet and figure out a way to change the topic.

For the times I did see George, which had dwindled down to passing him in the hallway, he wouldn't even look at me, let alone speak to me. I'm sure my dorm mates noticed my melancholy mood, seeing as I cried quite loudly at night about the whole situation, but they never asked about it, probably from fear of my new found hobby of bursting into tears.

But I wasn't the only one having boy troubles. Ron had continued to tease Hermione relentlessly, almost to the point of bullying. Whenever we were in the mood to talk about our situations, Hermione and I would vent for hours in Hagrid's hut, a place that had become a safe space for both of us, courtesy of Hagrid.

If we weren't at Hagrid's, we were in the library. We spent a great deal of our time there avoiding George and Ron, crying into our textbooks. Neither of us acknowledged each other's tears, we both already knew why the other was crying.

It was a day like most, Hermione and I both silently tearing up in our textbooks, when Draco approached our table. I was so engrossed in my studying and self-pity, I didn't even know he'd walked up.

"Hey Y/N, I was wondering if-" I looked up from my book, my face red and puffy. My eyes were in the same state from crying so much. I quickly wiped any tears I had from my face.

"Yes?" I asked, my voice shaking much more than I would've liked.

"Have you been crying?" He asked. "Granger, has she been-" Hermione looked up from her book as Draco spoke, her face and eyes looking the same as mine. "Oh bloody hell, not you too." He said sympathetically. "Why are you guys crying?"

"Why do you care Malfoy?" Hermione spat. Draco seemed like he was about to retort with rude words, but I butted in before he could.

"Come on Hermione, let's not be rude. He's trying to be a nice person." Draco nodded, doing his best to be kind.

Hermione sat for a moment, thinking, before motioning with her head for Draco to sit at the table.

He quietly and calmly took a seat next to me, his eyes darting between Hermione and I. After a moment, he decided to break the silence.

"I'll ask again." He said, his tone almost meek-like. "Why are you guys crying?"

"Boys." Hermione and I answered in unison.

Draco looked taken aback, but quickly regained his composure. "Oh. I see."

Again, the table was silent, except for maybe a few shared sniffles between Hermione and I. There wasn't anything new to talk about and repeating things we'd already talked about was losing its luster. Although Draco hadn't heard, in depth, about our situations.

"I just don't understand why he's gotta tease me. I thought we were past this but apparently not." Hermione said suddenly.

"I've told you before Hermione, he doesn't deserve your tears. He's such a jerk for making you cry." I said.

"Same could be said about you." Draco said. Hermione looked shocked for a moment, but quickly shook her head in agreement. My shock stayed as I looked at Draco. "I mean, I don't know who you're crying about, either of you really, but I know no boy deserves your tears."

It was one of the nicest things he'd ever said to me, to anyone if I'm not mistaken. His words were greatly appreciated, seeing as how I needed a pick-me-up, but his words were shocking nonetheless. If Draco was going to be supportive and sweet, opening up couldn't hurt. Could it?

"It's, um" I looked to Hermione for reassurance. She nodded lightly. "George Weasley."

Draco looked at me in disbelief. "You're crying over him? Why?"

I sighed, preparing to explain for what felt like the thousandth time, when really, I had only told Hermione. "Well the other day, we got into some mischief. It caused me to have some trouble sleeping and so George made me tea." I smiled at the fond memory. I knew my smile wouldn't stay for long, since the story would quickly turn sour. "And then we got to talking and then he said we were just friends and it hurt my feelings and things got awkward between us. Now, he won't even look at me, let alone speak to me." I sighed, a frown over taking my face.

"Oh yeah, definitely doesn't deserve your tears." Draco said.

"Oh?" I asked, curious.

"Like I said, no boy deserves your tears, especially one who refuses to talk to you after one awkward conversation." Draco explained.

I smiled at Draco's kind words. It was nice to have another person to talk to and I'm sure Hermione appreciated it too. Sure, Draco could be rude, but he could be sweet when he wanted and when needed.

Draco turned to Hermione. "And what about you Granger?" He was sincere with his words, like he actually wanted to listen to Hermione.

She took a moment before speaking, nervous about opening up to Draco. "Ron." She said quietly.

Again, a look of disbelief crossed Draco's face. "Seriously? What is with you two? The Weasley boys are nothing to cry over. You two are some of the brightest witches I've ever known and you're crying over the Weasley boys?" He put his head into his hand, propping it up. "Bloody hell, maybe you're not that bright after all." He joked.

"I'm plenty bright." Hermione said, smiling. It was the first time I'd seen her smile in quite some time. "Ron's just got it out for me I guess." Her smile began to fade as she began to think about Ron.

"Don't look so glum you two. Everything will work out eventually." Draco said hopefully. "And if it doesn't, I'll hex those two into next week. No! Next year!" He said proudly.

Hermione and I smiled. Draco continued to talk with us, cheering us up with conversation. We were so wrapped in our conversation, none of us realized that the library had begun to close.

Draco looked up at the clock on the wall. "We should all be heading back to our common rooms, almost lights out."

We all stood up and began to make our way out of the library. Draco walked in front of us, getting ready to open the library door for us. I turned to Hermione as we began to leave. She was smiling, as was I. I tapped Draco on the shoulder before we reached the door.

"Thanks. You made us both feel a million times better." I said, gratitude being the only feeling in my voice.

Draco smiled. "Of course. What are friends for?" He turned to Hermione. "We're friends, right? I'm sorry, I don't want to assume. Ya know, I don't have many but it's alright if you-"

"I'd love to be your friend." Hermione said, cutting off Draco's rambling. "I could use a few more myself."

Draco smiled once more, happy to have one more friend.

I smiled too. From what I'd been told about the Malfoy family, they were pretty strict when it came to the separation of muggleborns and purebloods.

Yet here he stood, befriending both a halfblood and a muggleborn.