Ghost Band in the Garage

Olivia stood with her sneaker against the locker next to Julie. She glanced at her, laughing to herself at the cap she was wearing to cover her face. "Really? Would you take the hat off?" Olivia questioned, crossing her arms under her chest. The ginormous sleeves of her oversized black, zip-up hiding her arms completely. Julie glanced over at her with narrowed eyes. "Absolutely not. I don't want to be seen." She answered, stuffing something into her locker. Olivia shook her head, looking forward again, noticing Carrie wandering around the crowd.

        "Hey, underachievers!" Flynn greeted, walking up to the two. "Hey, disappointment." Julie greeted back, smiling at her. Olivia grinned at her, dropping her foot from the locker. "How do you always get here last?" She asked. Flynn rolled her eyes at her. "Liv, my classes are like the farthest from here. I'm not exactly going to run, am I?" "We wouldn't want that." Olivia replied sarcastically, earning a snicker from Julie.

       "Anyways, have you figured out what you're going to do. Mrs. Harrison said this is your last chance." Flynn asked Julie, who let out a quiet sigh. Olivia frowned, shoving her hands into her jacket pockets. She had been begging Julie to sing or at least play the piano all year, and so far, she hadn't gotten anywhere with that. The last thing she wanted was for her best friend to get kicked out of the music program, when the only reason she got in was because of her.

      "I'll know in the moment." Julie replied, making Olivia and Flynn exchange glances. "That's not very settling, Jules." Olivia said. "Yeah, you've got to give us more than that." Flynn shook her head. Before Julie could reply, the sound of Carrie's voice getting louder and closer filled their ears. They all turned in the direction, seeing her passing out some paper to the kids wandering around.

      "See you at the rally!" Her obnoxious voice said, making Olivia roll her eyes. "What's she passing out?" Flynn asked. Olivia wanted to say she didn't care, but Carrie was walking their way. She smiled her extremely fake smile as she stopped in front of them.

     "Here you go! My group is preforming at the spirit rally tomorrow! I'm sure you three have nothing better to do!" Carrie smiled, handing Flynn the flyer. "Oh my gosh, Carrie! Thanks!" She replied sarcastically, making Olivia press her lips together so she didn't let out a laugh. Carrie noticed, side eyeing her before looking back at Flynn. "Oh my gosh, Flynn! Don't bother coming!" She smiled before walking away. Olivia and Julie laughed, shaking their heads. "God, I despise her." Olivia said, raising a brow as she watched her carry on passing out flyers. "Agreed." Flynn said.

     Olivia glanced at the quiet Julie, only to find her staring at Nick, Carrie's boyfriend and well, Julie's major obsession. She wanted to smack her; the dude was so... vanilla! No excitement whatsoever. She quickly grabbed Julie's wrist, dragging her towards the music room. "Nope, nope, nope!" She said. Julie stumbled over her foot, catching herself. "Hey!"

     "You know what you were doing."

     "Gosh, Carrie would die before she would let that happen." Flynn said, catching up to them. Olivia nodded, and Julie pouted.
                        ————————————

      Everyone had gone through the music test already. That is other than Julie. When she got up to go, Olivia felt her heart hammering in her chest. She wanted her to pass so badly. But all was done when Julie got up and ran out. She felt heart broken. The rest of the day was miserable, for all three of them. When the bell released them, it had to be the most relief they had felt all day.

     Olivia lay across Julie's bed, looking over at her sitting at the window. "I know I've said this like a million times, but I will not stand for this." Olivia grumbled. Julie shook her head, looking over at her. "Liv, we can't go back in time. I screwed up." She sighed. Olivia grumbled louder, dropping her face into the mattress. "Still sucks ass." She said, but it was all muffled. It was probably a good thing too because Julie's dad burst into the room, and he didn't like foul language.

     "Oh, good you're both here!" Ray said as Olivia rolled to her side so she could look back at him. He walked in a step more, rubbing his hands together. "I was about to head out to Carlos's baseball game, but I wanted to say, I got a call today." He began. Olivia felt her eyes widen as she looked back at Julie who had the same look on her face. "O-oh." Julie said softly.

      "My realtor friend said that if we were serious about selling the house, we need pictures, which means we have lots of cleaning to do." Ray went on. Olivia and Julie sighed with relief, dropping the scared looks from their faces. "I was going to ask you, if you could handle mom's studio- I know it will probably be hard, but you're the expert on all that stuff. And Olivia could help you-" He rambled, but Julie cut him off. "Yeah, that's fine dad. We can try tonight." Ray smiled, nodding his head. "Yeah?" Julie smiled back. "Yeah."

      So, a couple hours passed, and Olivia and Julie wandered out into her mom's studio. Olivia's lips parted as chills formed on her skin, even under the heat of her jacket and jeans. She turned in a circle as she admired the place, she had so many fond memories. "I miss playing in here." She said softly, wandering over to the grand piano. Her fingertips traced lightly against the wood.

      "Me- too." Julie said, her voice wavering. Olivia furrowed her brows as she turned around. Julie was climbing up to the loft. "Hey, wait for me." She said, running over to the ladder. She followed behind Julie, climbing up onto the landing. "Woah." Olivia grinned, noticing a bass laying in a pile in the corner. She fell to her knees, pulling on the strap with metal, spike embroidery. "Nice." She said, tracing her eyes over the instrument.

      She glanced to the side, noticing Julie looking in some box. "Sunset Curve?" Julie questioned, pulling a CD from the box and showing it to her. Olivia raised a brow, shrugging. "I couldn't tell you." Julie nodded, standing up. "Let's take a listen."

      The girls climbed back down, Julie popped the CD into the player, and they sat on the couch. It took a second, but soon the sound of a rock song filled the garage. Olivia grinned, bopping her head immediately to the killer drum beat in the background. Julie laughed, starting to dance to it too. Then, screaming filled their ears. They quickly whisked their hands over their ears, glancing at each other. "God, that CD sucks!" Olivia yelled over the sound. Before Julie could answer, the screaming stopped and three figures poofed out of nowhere.

      Olivia and Julie whipped their heads to look in front of them, standing up quickly and huddling together as the figures stood up, grumbling and moaning. The girls' eyes widened as the, more obvious, boys turned around. There was a pause. "What the hell!" Olivia freaked, which sent everyone screaming.

*Hi! This is my first fanfic! I'm literally obsessed with JATP😭 anyways, this story will be very much a slow burn because I like to build relationships, so I hope no one is upset with the minimal moments in the beginning!! Also i don't own any of the dialogue from JATP!