Chapter one

Aviana.

I race off in the direction of the stairs but my hair gets yanked back by force making me stumble backwards "Where do you think you're going?!" My father roars grabbing a handful of my hair and pulls me up leaving me no choice but to go up with him. "So you think is funny huh?" He practically throws me back into the kitchen.

Luckily I catch myself breaking the fall by landing on my hands but that doesn't stop the painful kick to my left rib cage, my body rolls in the direction of the kick sending my body turning. My mouth opens ready to scream but nothing comes out. "I give you a phone and this is how you repay me!" He kicks my back sending a rush of pain down my spine.

"I've done nothing wrong to you and look at what you do." His words bounce off the walls and he goes back to using me as his punching bag this time, I try hide my face but I think that only angers him more. "You're disgusting! A disappointment! Just like your brother was! Just like your mother!"

The words hurt more then the balled fists in my stomach, about nine years ago my mother was murdered. My brother and I witnessed it, lucky for him he was deaf and couldn't hear the nasty words being aimed at our mother.

I was seven and my brother eleven, I can remember it like it was yesterday. It was a Friday night in mid October, my brother and I were in his room and I was signing to him telling him about the previous nights argument that kept me up all night "They were scream so loud, and then everything went silent." I sign as I speak to him.

Kevin nods so I continue "Mom was telling him he needs to leave and dad was furious at the fact she was kicking him out his own house," I sign fast as I'm used to it, my big brother nods again "I only hear them when they were really loud but what sacred me was what dad said."

What did he say? My brother signs to me.

"I'm going to kill you Gloria, keep fucking with me and you'll be six feet under." I sign "His tone was cold and I only heard it because I was by my door," I pause looking paste my brother at his bedroom door "I'm scared Kevin. This is different, I'm really scared."

Don't be, I'm here. He moves to me and hugs me tight. Hey listen, when I'm eighteen we're getting out here. We're going to tell the police everything and get the fuck out of here, you have nothing to fear. I nod trying to believe him but even I know that's false hope.

Not even an hour later the shouting starts again and we make our way to the living room, my mother and father are at it again. "I want a divorce Kyle, I'm not staying here with you!"

"You're not leaving!" My dad ups my mothers volume, sometimes I wonder how my neighbours don't here this. I get it being so close to a high way can be loud but even I could here them from a mile away.

"Fuck you!" My mom screams just to be cut off by my dad slapping her, the force sends her face in one direction. I gasp stepping forward to go help my mom but Kevin stops me, I tug my arm free from his grip just missing my mom leap on my dad and starts fighting him.

She gets throw across the room like she's light as a leaf, I guess that's what happens when your husband won't let you eat. I don't even hear a scream escape her lips he body just goes completely limp. I gasp racing over to her body "Mom!" I shout "Mom get up!"

A pool of blood trails as I pick her head up making me scream and scramble away from the body in tears, I tuck my head in my knees and start rocking myself back and forth "You're my little star, a star so bright, two little stars that can never get lost at night." I whisper to myself still rocking myself back and forth.

"You're my little star, a star so bright, two little stars that can never get lost at night." I repeat my mother's lullaby. The rest I can't remember but I do know that I stop talking from that day onwards leaving my father the advantage of manipulating my brother.

My brother was next to go and apparently it was a suicide, with my father finding the body and reporting it God knows what happened.

"Get up!" He screams down my ear and I turn in his direction failing to even gain balance "Go pack your shit, we're leaving." He leaves and I lay back down on my back whimpering. What did I do this time? I added someone on Snapchat.

We're in a group project in school and I know that I wouldn't be able to talk to my partner or meet up with him so I thought it was a good idea to add him, apparently not. And him being a guy was bad enough.

I take deep breaths hiccuping as I try to hold my tears back, it takes me a minute to get on my side and struggle to my feet. I can literally feel my body starting to physically shut down and I force my legs up the stairs.

We've been jumping from apartment to apartment for a while now, mostly when he has a new job never giving me enough time to settle down.

I finally reach my room and collapse on the floor my body giving up on me.