Chpater fifteen

I get about half way through before the regular brain freezes start coming and going, my excitement for the ice cream soon dies down fast. "Do you know you have to talk to the police?"

I look up at Tamyne with sad eyes and shake my head "Sadly this isn't wolf business, we can't mix this. If we prevent you from talking to them, that doesn't give you a very promising image." She pauses looking down at her neat nails "Your father was um, pronounced dead yesterday. He's been trying to fight but he finally let go."

I look down at my chipped and bitten nails as my eyes start to fill up, I did that. I murdered him. Even if I have my reasons it was still wrong. When do I have to talk to them? "The detective is on his way now. Right now you have a clean innocent image, let's try keeping it that way."

"Is there anything you want to tell us?" Tamyne turns to her boyfriend's voice, she looks back at me and I glance at Quade. I still don't know if I can trust them.

"Anything you say will stay between the four of us, nothing going in or out of this room." Tamyne tries reassure me but I don't feel reassured. I don't know where I am, I don't know who these people are, I don't even know how I got here. I can't trust them. For all I know they can sell me out and I'll be in juvie if they have one here.

"The police have investigated your house, we know nothing. Except for the fact that you were poisoned, were you poisoned?" Her head titles slightly, I nod to answer. "Who poisoned you?" She waits for my answer "Aviana we know nothing and we want to take your side, you have to tell us something."

"What did you poison him with?" Quade asks and I lift my gaze, he can't do that. He doesn't even know what I did it, he can't know.

Pine sol. I sign selling myself out, I don't have a lawyer. They're all I've got even if I don't trust them. "What did you put it in?" Quade has taken full control in questioning.

The mashed potatoes-we were cooking. This unraveling to him feeling really needs to stop. "Is this cooking together a routine?" No, I sign and shake my head he was trying to manipulate me into thinking he was sorry. "What did he do?" I freeze at the question and drop my gaze.

The traumatizing memory comes back to me and I shut my eyes trying to forget it, I start letting myself be instead of trying to hold everything out of fear. "This doesn't get mentioned to the police you hear me?" I hear him but I find myself trapped inside a different time zone. A memory time zone.

Everything my father has done to me runs back in a flashback, my mother's death, the first time he refused to feed my bother and I, my dreading punishments. He literally stripped me the right of living and now I flinch at every raised hand and tear up to every glass I see.

A knock comes at the door getting my attention and then an officer walks in, he's in his uniform all strapped up and fancy. "I'm detective Martin I'm here to ask miss Campbell a few questions." He addresses to Quade and Xaz slide a chair over to him as he places himself at the end of my bed.

Detective Martin has dark skin but hazel brown eyes standing out, he has a clean cut removing a few years from him. To me he looks like he's in his mid thirty if not older, he takes out a note book and I notice a gold bland ring on his left finger. "Miss Campbell," he gets my attention and I look up at him.

Aviana's fine. I sign "Aviana's fine." Tamyne translate without hesitation and he nods.

"Aviana, you're new here right?" I nod "You and your father moved here at the start of the week?" I nod confirming again "Quite the week you've had. Where are you guys coming form?" New York. Tamyne translates, "And why'd you move?" My father got a job offer here.

The detective jots something down then looks back at me "Do you know what he was doing?" I shake my head no and he nods "Are you an only child?" He asks and I can't help but glance at Quade who surprise surprise is watching me, I'm the only child that's alive. I swallow down as Tamyne translates. "Is this really necessary?" She adds.

"We know nothing about Aviana or her father, everything is necessary." He says calmly but I can feel Tamyne's frustration grow. "You're the only child that's alive?" Detective pries, my older brother committed suicide over four years ago. "And your mother?" Died in an accident. Everyone goes silent.

"I'm sorry about your family." He apologizes and I just bow my head, nothing about my life is perfect but I've gotten used to letting my past die behind me. Now it's all unraveling, in front of Quade. "How was your living situation?" His question gets my heart racing, good. I lie with a heavy heart.

"There were no arguments or fights?" He asks and I shake my head "How come you father reported you as a runaway on Tuesday night?" It was a misunderstanding. I sign taking in a deep breath.