Chapter 12

Lightning and the other shipgirls entered the base only to find Blueflash standing at a corner, looking incredibly frustrated. 

"What is going on?" Lightning asked. 

"Well, Blueflash here is upset that all his flirting with Yamato did not result in her showing any emotion," Ratchet grumbled, looking up from the monitors. 

"Thanks a lot for telling them that, Docbot," Blueflash muttered, sarcasm lacing his voice. 

"Do not call me Docbot!" Ratchet yelled, holding up a wrench, about to fling it at Blueflash .

"Just cool down a bit, alright?" Lightning spoke, "Yamato has something to say." 

"Its just that... we were trained to not have any emotions in the Imperial Japanese Navy last time. Emotion leads to weakness, they said. I did not believe it then, but one incident made me do so," Yamato whispered, tears running down her face as she gazed downwards. All the 'bots walked closer, wanting to hear the battleship speak. 

"The battle of Leyte Gulf. My sister, Musashi was with me. The Japanese intended to win this at all costs. I could only watch as each bomb and torpedo hit my dear sister. I was getting hit too, but it didn't matter. All I heard were the pained screams of my sister, her agony immeasurable. The flames were ablaze on her deck, yet she would not die mercifully. She suffered as more hit her, the metallic smell of blood lingered in the air. She died that day. All I could do was watch, me, a mighty battleship, powerless. What good is power if you cannot use it to save others? I was supposed to protect her, defend her, but I did nothing, there was nothing I could do but watch as my dear sister bled out into the sea. I wish I died that day, then I would not have to experience the horrors a few years later." Yamato's voice trembled as more tears slipped silently down her face. 

"1945," Yamato continued, "I was sent on a suicide mission. The Americans came and attacked. Many of my escorts were lost and their deaths weighed heavily on me. They died, one by one and I could not help them, not even lessen their suffering. The bombs and torpedoes hit me, the pain agonising, flames licking at my soul. Everyone has their own suffering. My time ended that day, or so I thought, until I was called back again." Yamato was visibly shaking when she rolled up her sleeves, showing her scarred arms. "I'm so sorry... I failed you, Musashi," Yamato crumbled to the ground, crying as the memories returned, fresh as yesterday. The battleship kneeled on the ground, sobbing. The 'bots only watched in silence. 

"But now you can see Musashi again, right?" Flare asked. 

"That is not the point!" Yamato screamed, "How do I face her, knowing I failed, you, you know nothing, you have not seen death before, so keep you mouth shut. What you have seen is nothing compared to the horrors of the past." Yamato let out an agonised wail as she dashed out of base, heading towards her ship. 

"Yamato..." Lightning whispered. Flare stood there, shaking, while Blueflash looked remorseful. Optimus felt his spark ache as Yamato left, knowing full well what it felt like to be her. Bismarck strode out of base, trying desperately to keep her emotionless mask on as Lightning hurried after her. 

"Tirpitz..." Bismarck sighed as Lightning nodded, the both of them exiting base. Bismarck choked back a sob when Lightning comforted her, the memories fresh in her mind. 

"Please, do not bring up the past..." Essex whispered, remembering all the screams of agony, the fires, the jolts of pain. 

"Focus only on the future, when they return and fight with us, they know what they are fighting for. They would die protecting than have to fail and bear the agony again." Bumblebee beeped something comforting as Optimus walked outside, seeing Bismarck, tears streaming down her face as Lightning hugged her, comforting her. 

"They know what they are fighting for," Ratchet spoke, standing next to him. 

"That I know, old friend, I only worry that Lightning will have to experience the same," Optimus admitted.

Yamato walked up to Bismarck and Lightning, raising a trembling hand, whispering, "The ocean, so beautiful but so merciless. The echoes of war never fading, the memories keep returning. The smell of blood, fresh as yesterday, the roar of the guns. the screams, cries of pain resounding in my mind. The breeze carries the smell of salt, but also awakens the memories of battle. flames of pain, waves of agony, endless..." Bismarck just nodded, her eyes holding a pained look in them. 

"The pain feels so real, looking on yourself. The sweet taste of victory lingers within reach, but at what cost?" Bismarck continued, gazing skywards.

"My dear sisters..." Essex sobbed, "The fiery balls of flame, the crimson red shade of blood. Scars just healed, laced with emotion. The water lapping at the hull, a never-ending ocean, filled with pain, sacrifice, nightmares. The awakening of the worst memories, worst fears. A duty to protect, limited only by yourself. No one understands. The frost of isolation, an abyss of depression, beckoning you closer with every step. The foamy waves crashing against the sand. Look of desperation in their eyes, a haunting phantom of the past..." The carrier trails off. "But we fight and fight, never ever faltering, not a single rest, where is the meaning of life, washed away by the wind, carried away in the wind?"

"The pain of separation, scars a grim reminder. Years past, none is forgotten, scars hold a story, awakening like blood gushing out of wounds. The agony of leaving, battling yourself deep within, no one is free from the pain. Freedom is fleeting, like a flitting butterfly, chained and locked, stored inside. Expectations rise like the waves, fate laid out in paths, but which one to take? Everyone is different, yet the same, the pain identical, suffering is for one to feel and bear. the feeling of death beckons, the fear of being lost to the world remains, what are we to them? Everyone is hurting, deep within..." Lightning whispered, her voice lost to the wind.

There you have it, another depressing chapter! *cries* Gosh, this was so hard to write but I made it so here it is. Get ready some tissues though... there is more to come.

~Lightningstar out