Chapter 23

Lightning sighed softly. It had been a few days since... Yorktown's death. Truth to be told, she felt slightly better confiding in her friends, but the guilt still lingered. She put down her pencil, gazing out of the window. The Sirens were also unusually inactive. They probably needed time to recover from the loss of their leader and rebuild their army. Lightning just had this... niggling feeling. Something bad was going to happen. She just couldn't seem to place her hand on it. Turning back to the piece of paper before her, she smiled slightly. 

She had drawn... a picture of all of them. It had taken quite a few hours, but it was finally done. After tucking the piece of paper into her  folder, she picked up a drawing that had fallen out. A drawing of her and Bismarck, their backs turned, looking up at the stars. It was that night, the same night that she had gained a new friend, when her life had changed. 

It felt as though it just happened yesterday. Time really flew by... Picking up her katana and bow, she headed to the training room. Yamato and Bismarck had agreed to train with her today. When she reached the training room, the two battleships were already there. Optimus was there too, standing at a side and watching. Yamato nodded at her, signaling Lightning to unsheathe her katana. Lightning did so and the two of them started a mock battle, slashing at each other using their katanas, yet being careful not to hurt their opponent. There was a loud clang as their katanas clashed, time and time again. 

Sweat ran down Lightning's face as she deflected another blow, ducking to the side as the katana hit the ground a distance away from her. That was close, she thought as she got to her feet swinging the katana at Yamato, who promptly blocked it. Gritting her teeth, Lightning continued her attack. The mock battle lasted for what seemed like an eternity until Lightning finally managed to stun Yamato for a few moments in order to pin her down. 

"Good match," Yamato complimented Lightning as she got up. 

"Same to you," Lightning replied. Her whole body was bruised and aching, but she seemed numb to the pain, probably because she was already used to it. 

"Take a breather before we spar, Lightning," Bismarck spoke as Lightning nodded. A few minutes later, Lightning and Bismarck were facing each other, waiting until Yamato told them to begin. After the signal was given, Lightning dodged a well-aimed kick by Bismarck, retaliating with a powerful kick aimed at Bismarck's side. Of course, the battleship saw this coming and quickly dodged it. Lightning threw a few punches at Bismarck, side-stepping as Bismarck kicked, aiming for Lightning's chest. Lightning leapt upward, doing a jumping-sidekick while trying her best to withhold her power. 

Nevertheless, Bismarck stumbled backwards slightly before regaining her footing and blocking one of Lightning's punches. Lightning narrowed her eyes, looking for a slight weakness in Bismarck's defense. Her mind was racing, looking for multiples opportunities, waiting for the right moment, until finally, Bismarck moved her hand away from her chest to hit Lightning. Nimbly dodging the blow, Lightning quickly kicked Bismarck, hard, causing the battleship to fall to the ground. Bismarck groaned as she got to her feet. 

"That... was a hard kick... gonna have a bruise now..." she panted. Lightning just smirked.

 "Well... you were kinda asking for it when you decided to fight me," Lightning snickered.

"I'll get you back one day..." Bismarck groaned. The carrier just shook her head, amusement glittering in her eyes as she picked up her bow. 

Spinning around, Lightning drew her bow before releasing the bowstring multiple times, shooting down all the targets. 

"Huh?" Lightning exclaimed as she shot another arrow at where the target was supposed to be. However, the target was missing from its spot. The flame orange arrow shot through the air, heading straight to Optimus. Optimus, amazingly, didn't show much shock, (He is a Prime after all) moving to the side and watching as the arrow hit the wall next to him not even flinching once. Bismarck's eyes widened slightly when she saw this but didn't say anything. 

That night...

Lightning made her way up the cliff, her gaze flicking from side to side, on high alert. She felt... uneasy, in the very least. That gut feeling had not gone, in fact, it just got stronger with every minute that passed without any Siren's attacking. Something was off. What exactly were those Sirens planning? She hated the fact that they never knew anything. Once she had reached the top of the cliff, she realised that Bismarck and Optimus, in his holoform, were already there.Lightning quickly walked up to them, sitting between the both of them. 

"The stars are so pretty tonight," Lightning whispered. 

"You always say that," Bismarck teased, chuckling slightly. 

"Lightning does have a point," Optimus pointed out, "The stars are always beautiful, one can never seem to stop admiring them however many times he or she has seen the stars." Bismarck just nodded. 

Then, Lightning spoke up, "Bismarck, do you ever regret anything?" 

"No... I don't, not really. Everything I did has taught me valuable life lessons, every action a small step that has taken me to where I am today, made me the person I am now," Bismarck answered. Lightning just sighed. 

"What about you, Optimus?" Bismarck asked the Prime. 

"I had some regrets... not being able to protect everyone in battle. It was inevitable though, and I feel that everything in life had a meaning to it. Every action that I took has led me here today, made me and developed my character. Perhaps it was fate, or maybe destiny, but Lightning and Bismarck, you must always remember that your fate now is not laid out for you. What happens to you in the future depends on your choices now. We do not follow fate blindly, rather, we let it guide us, learning along the way. It is always your actions and your choices that define you as a person, not you status or your talent. Being on the side of good is a choice, and this choice applies to everyone."

Yay! Another chapter! Thankfully, its is less depressing this time *cough* previous chapters *cough* Anyways, thanks for reading!

~Lightningstar out