Chapter 26

Lightning took a deep breath, trying to calm her nerves as she looked around the ocean. Surely a Siren will turn up soon, right? She headed for the rock formation, Sirens were usually spotted there, so there was a high chance that she would find one there. Sure enough, there was a Siren. Scavenger, to be precise. 

"You, shipgirl, what are you doing here?" Scavenger hissed when she saw Lightning. 

"I am here to meet Devastator, please take me to her, I have... something to discuss with her," Lightning lied smoothly, covering up the fear rolling off her in waves. 

"Very well," Scavenger replied as she placed a blindfold over Lightning's eyes. The carrier just remained silent, biting back a protest that she knew would get her in trouble. 

A few minutes later, they arrived at the Siren base and the blindfold over Lightning's eyes was removed. She looked up to see Devastator. 

"Who are you?" Devastator's high-pitched voice rang out in the silence as Lightning shifted her gaze to the Siren leader. "My name is Storm. I am Lightning's twin sister..."

Dundundun! This is the end of the chapter, thanks for reading!

Jkjk. I'm not that evil, or am I? Anyways, here is the rest of this chapter.

"Lightning's sister, you say? Scavenger, leave," Devastator ordered. The Siren bowed her head, turning around and exiting the room, the doors closing behind her. 

"If so... why are you here?" Devastator questioned, her voice void of emotion as she looked at the shipgirl before her. Lightning steeled herself before speaking, the well-fabricated lie that she had practiced multiple times rolling off her tongue as though it was natural. 

"Lightning never mentioned me, perhaps she was so embarrassed of me, that's why," Lightning -or-Storm now- scoffed, "Before I went to Azur Lane, I suffered a severe injury that caused me to be bedridden for many months. Lightning only took me along because she claimed that she cared about me. When we went to the base, I could not do anything at all. I watched as Lightning trained, improved, got all the glory. Hardly anyone knew about me, the shipgirl hiding in the shadows. No one ever came to visit me. Well, Lightning did at first, but then she got too caught up in her life to forget me. I was forgotten, by my own family. Then, Lightning went out to space on some heroic mission and came back. That was when she messed up. She caused Yorktown's death. How could people still see her as a hero when she lowered Azur Lane's numbers by one? A few nights later, I confronted her. By then I was almost fully healed and I asked her, asked her why she never mentioned me. She just... lost control, telling me that I was a disappointment to her, to everyone. I had not accomplished anything, could stay safe in base while they battled for their lives. She said I could have saved Yorktown, and that it was my fault I was injured. She said she hated me, that I was nothing but a burden, I was useless. By then, I was so furious. Lightning had no right to say such things. I was always there for her when she needed me, yet she abandoned me," Lightning spat, doing her best to put up a convincing lie. 

"The next few weeks, I was fueled by hate. I trained deep into the night, perfecting my moves, pushing myself to the limit. I had enough of everyone ignoring me, pretending I didn't exist. I was determined to prove myself. I was convinced that the Sirens were better. After al, you obviously have the upper hand. And you respect everyone for their talents. In Azur Lane, no one even gave me a chance. So before I came here, I did one thing. I killed Lightning. Devastator, I have helped you get rid of one of your worst enemies. If I can prove myself here, allow me to join the Sirens, join you in your conquest to take over the world," Lightning finished, her eyes hard and her face betraying no emotions. 

Devastator hummed when she heard this. Storm would be a worthy asset here. After all, she was Lightning's twin and their talents would be evenly matched. To have Storm on her side would be a huge advantage, especially at a time like this. But still, what if Storm was faking? That would be a great problem. She needed to test Storm, here and now. 

"Well. Storm, it seems like you have a valid reason, after all, I understand you, my sister was just like that to me," Devastator lied easily. Lightning narrowed her eyes when she heard this, contemplating Devastators words carefully. She was walking on thin ice now, one wrong move could lead her to her doom. 

So, once she had thought it through, she spoke, "Is that so? If Destructor really put that little faith in you, she would not have let you battle or let you take her place. Having said this, it is clear that we are not the same, and that you are lying. Nevertheless, I hope that you have considered my proposal and will let me fight alongside you." 

Devastator smiled, however, it was an unnerving smile, a she said, "It seems that you have passed my test, Storm. But still, I have a few more questions for you. May I please clear my doubts?"

Lightning masked her emotions, easily saying, "Of course you can." 

"Very well then. Firstly, if you and Lightning truly are twins, then wouldn't you look alike?"

A small smirk appeared on Lightning's face as she replied, "But of course. We look identical, that is for sure, but after all that has happened between us, why would I want to be associated with her? I want nothing to do with that... that... thing. So, I dyed my hair black, wore contacts and chose my outfit to look entirely different, just to spite my dear sister. "

Devastator nodded before inquiring, "How did you injure yourself?" 

"I was doing a gymnastics competition. I had sent years training and everything was perfect, until I accidentally lost control, causing me to break both of my legs. So yes, Lightning was right. I did cause my own injury, but she had no need to rub it in," Lightning answered. 

"Here is my last question. Are you worried that Lightning's friends will come looking for you to avenge Lightning?" 

"I am not that afraid, knowing that I have spent much time with them to know how to defeat them. However, grief can cause a person to do unimaginable, desperate things. So, although I may sleep with one eye open, I am ready for them if they do come searching for me," Lightning responded somewhat confidently, letting a small trace of doubt slip into her voice to complete the act. Devastator just grinned, showing her shark-like teeth. 

"Brilliant, Storm. Welcome to the Sirens. Together we shall defeat anyone who stands in our way!" Devastator cackled. 

"Indeed we will... I will defeat anyone who comes into my way too," Lightning whispered, too softly for the Siren to hear. 

Yet another chapter is done! Thoughts anyone? Was it good? See you during the next chapter!

~Lightningstar out