Chapter 43

(made some minor edits)

Lightning and Bismarck were both star-gazing. Bismarck had woken just a week ago and they had been watching the stars together every night. Lightning's cut had also healed, so she no longer had to wear the mask. The battleship gave Lightning a sideways glance before speaking. 

"It's tomorrow, isn't it?" Lightning just nodded tersely. 

"I have faith in you, Lightning," Bismarck said softly. 

"Whatever the outcome of the battle, I'm glad that I will be fighting it alongside you, Bismarck," Lightning replied. 

Bismarck just dipped her head before saying, "Let's get back to base. We should probably rest up." 

"Indeed," Lightning murmured. The two of them headed down to base and Bismarck nodded at Lightning before leaving, heading towards the Iron Blood dorms. Lightning sighed, looking up at the stars. There was no sure outcome of tomorrow's battle. She had to take precautions. 

Walking back to her room, she took out about ten thumb drives she had prepared and started recording. About an hour later, she called Avenger to her window, passing him some meat. Then, she gathered the thumb drives, placing them on her table. She instructed Avenger to pass it to Enterprise only if she did not return from the battle tomorrow. Avenger was a smart eagle. He would follow Lightning's instruction's exactly, she knew. The eagle then perched on her windowsill for a moment before flying off. Lightning turned her gaze to the ocean, in the direction of the Siren base. 

"I did not wish for it to come to this, Devastator, but tomorrow, I may have to kill you, for the sake of everyone I know and love," She whispered. 

Yesterday, Enterprise had decided to contact the 'bots, asking them for their help in this battle. They needed all the help they could get. Optimus readily agreed, for they were still allies with Azur Lane. The 'bots whom Lightning had met on Cybertron would all be here in the morning. Ultra Magnus and Jazz, who had just returned from a deep-space mission, would lead the Autobots in Optimus' absence. Although Lightning knew she would be happy to meet them, she just wished it wasn't in these circumstances. She may very well die tomorrow, she knew. How would that affect them? She already set her mind on what she would do. If she were to be fatally injured, she would bring Yorktown back. And hopefully, it would work. If it succeeded and no one else lost their lives, Lightning would be able to rest peacefully.

The next day...

Lightning watched as the 'bots arrived and Enterprise passed them each a device. The device would allow them to use another alt-mode, for flight, temporarily as well as ensure they could walk on water. Lightning looked at the clock. It was 9 a.m.. The Sirens could attack any moment now. Optimus gave Lightning a look that clearly told her to be careful. Lightning nodded slightly, although a small part of her knew otherwise. 

"The Sirens, they are here," Zuikaku spoke, opening her eyes and catching the star-like items which allowed her to see via the planes. Lightning took a deep breath, activating her wisdom cube and watching as the other shipgirls did the same. The 'bots transformed into their alt-modes, F-35s, which Lightning had kindly allowed them to scan. Then, they all glided out to sea. 

Lightning exchanged a look with Bismarck before speaking, "Ready?" Bismarck just dipped her head. 

"Ahahaha! Azur Lane! Today shall be your demise! When you shipgirls are no more, then we Sirens can finally take over this world! Humanity wills it so!" Devastator crowed. Lightning was behind Bismarck, who was glaring at the Siren with pure rage. 

"Sirens, attack!" Devastator screeched. Enterprise, hearing this, immediately gave the order to attack as well. Lightning launched a few bombers and fighters, initiating a few bombing runs. Whipping around, she saw Oceana coming towards her. Lightning unsheathed her katana, swinging it left and right to block some of the shots. Seeing a few torpedoes heading to her, Lightning jumped up, landing softly on her feet. She narrowed her eyes, slashing her katana at the Siren who retaliated with a few shots that Lightning promptly dodged.