A Nightmare

My eyes flutter open. I look my room over, feeling the hay-filled bed below me, and breathing in the air. Oh, yes, last night's dream was not just a dream. This nightmare is real. I look over at the sleeping child. She breathes are deep and even peaceful. Morgan, her name was Morgan. I sit up and rub my face, groaning in my groggy daze. Morgan then wakes up with a start, wide-eyed as if she hadn't just been sound asleep. Goodness, what she must have been through.

"It's alright now. You're safe," I promise Morgan, "I'm not going to hurt you,"

"Why?" Morgan wonders, "Who a-are you-," she stammers, and she yipes at a pounding on the door.

"Ecgh, wake up!" shouts perhaps the most irritated, snooty woman's voice. I feel an immediate repulsion, but I'm in no place to ignore someone here. I rush for the door, and these two come waltzing in unwelcome. They gaze about my room, looking at it with wrinkled noses and loathing scrutiny. Their dresses are like mine but beige, matching each other.

"You're Jade?" asks the lean tallest girl with long blond hair framing a narrow face. Her frame is thin like Helga's but built by lean muscle from labor and a proper diet.

"Yes," I answer. The two girls look at each other, eyebrows raised. One of them just snickers as if sharing some unspoken joke.

"You and the mutt are to help us out today, so let's go. I am Jina," she introduces herself.

"And I am Adrianna, but do not speak to us unless you are spoken to. Especially in front of Tristen," instructs the other, "The last thing we want is to be associated with you any more than we must," Adrianna adds. I glance at Morgan, who follows the girls without a moment's hesitation. The two lead us across the yard. Folks passing by head to the kitchens for breakfast. I watch for the two to follow them, but we're not. We're going straight into working without any breakfast. Whatever comfort or protection Tristen was offering was taken away before I even knew I had it. Eyes linger in our direction. They're staring at Morgan.

"Where are we going?" I wonder, and Adrianna shoots a sharp look at me.

"Right," I mutter under my breath. I follow to the other side of the kitchen, pass several other cabins toward the largest of them. I expect this one to belong to Tristen. It stands two stories, and the inside has been well decorated. I'm not sure how I missed this before. Perhaps if I'd behaved and held my tongue, I'd be living here. Now I'm scrubbing the bathrooms. Morgan follows, collecting linens and sheets from the rooms for Adrianna, who sits on the couch playing with her hair. I pause mid-stroke. My arms ache, and the smell of floor polish is starting to hurt my head. It has a rather strong piney smell that I've never had the fortune to afford.

"Why have you stopped working?!" Adrianna demands, glaring over her shoulder. I look back to the floor, continuing work, hoping she'll just leave me alone.

"I was taking a break to breath-," I begin when something strikes my back. "GAH!" I cry out. My jaw hangs open, and I groan as pain radiates across my back. The sting lingers, aching. Another blow has me screaming. I glance up to find Jina hovering over me. Someone's smacked. I find the strength to look up. It's Morgan, they've turned on her, too. She's so young. Morgan goes running. Adrianna grabs Morgan's collar. Caught, that wooden club falls. Morgan hits the floor at their feet. Adrianna bounces the club in her hands in anticipation, two of them smirking.

"Stop it! Stop it!" I cry out, "Hit- hit me," I plead. "Hit me instead," and the two turn with the most wicked gleam in their eyes. I crawl forward, staring down at the floor. Tears start to run down my face.

"Are you sick?" Jina laughs, holding her stomach.

"Who cares, she must be punished. She must pay for her treachery," Adrianna decides.