Exposed

Jade:

My eyes blow up wide, and I pull my legs up closer to my chest. I pull back around the corner between the kitchen and the stairwell. I peer in again once more just in time to see Hunter storm off from his parents.

"Now, what are we to do?" Eladia shouts, striking the countertop with her fist. It shudders, and I jump. "The alliance with the Brooks was riding on the bonding of our heirs,"

"I know," Vincent grumbles.

"If he continues to reject her, what will stop the Brooks from running us off our home?" Eladia worries, "And the barbarians won't leave us alone," she weeps, "I know you wanted to leave the village alone, but they will meet their demise no matter if the Brooks turn on us," she reminds him.

"I know," Vincent answers with the same toneless grumbling.

"We must burn their village. Eliminate one of our woes so that we can face them,"

"No," Vincent states, firm on his decision.

"Why now? We cannot fight two foes at once," Eladia points out.

"I know!" Vincent snap at her, and he bows his head, apologetically, "I know..." he murmurs, "I will find a way. I will talk to Hunter. He knows what is right. He just needs a reminder,". I hurry away from the kitchen. My breaths come fast. What did he call me? What am I? His mate? Why would his wolf pick me? What does that mean for his wolf to pick me? I shudder at the thought of this- this madness. I cover my face, stifling a cry with the back of my fist. Supposedly I am to be his, but no way would I ever be his lover. The thought isn't only repulsive, it is freighting. I picture his rage and anger. Never could I trust him, ever!

Hunter:

"Hunter?" I hear my father outside my bedroom door. Well, this can't be good. I glance at the window, contemplating just taking off. I could run far away, miles away, but I'll never escape what the heart of my wolf desires.

"Hunter!" I hear him snap, his voice gruff and thick with authority.

"What?" I call, and he lets himself in. I should have feigned to be asleep.

"Just what stunt were you trying to pull?" he demands.

"What do you mean, a stunt?" I ask without a tone.

"That stunt, claiming a mere human to be your mate?" Vincent inquires, searching my face, but I refuse to even glance his way, "Is that what you want, to be mated to a human?" my father continues badgering me, but I haven't any idea what to say. How should I say it? That I'm drawn to a human? That I'm drawn someone who's kind we have enslaved, that we slaughter, that have hunted us in the old day? Yet for some reason, my wolf sees, smells feels that somethings special about her!

"Is it?" Vincent continues.

"I don't know. All I know is when I look at Jade..." I start my hand over my chest, where I feel most deeply. Where I feel the pain when she cowers from me when she won't look at me, and when she's near me but out of reach. "When I look at her..." I keep muttering.

"No," my father growl angrily, "A human can't be your mate. That's impossible. My sons' mate isn't some- disgusting human. A mere peasant," Vincent growls.

"And what of it?" I fire back ignorantly.

"So what? You know history! Humans are humans. We are wolves," he shoots back.

"Half of us is human, too," I remind him. He scoffs, leaping to his feet he grunts with frustration.

"Right now, Lilly's out in the village with Suzah. You will figure out how to settle this. You are my beta. You are to be the next alpha of this pack with Lilly so that we may merge with Brook's pack," Vincent reminds me.

"I can quit a job," I sneer, "I can't be her mate, I just can't," I state.

"You know what you must do. If we are to hold onto our territory, we must merge the packs," Vincent goes on, "The barbarians continue to slaughter our sub packs and run us off. The Brook's will see our weakness and run us off for good," he goes on. I sit up, rocking forward, I press my folded hands against my forehead.

"Isn't there another way?" I beg, "You had it easy when your parents set you up with mother. Your wolves accepted each other," I point out.

"I don't care. You are my son, the future of the Lakefall's. You shall, no matter under any circumstance, become the mate of a human. It must be the heir of the Brook pack," he denies my request, and then he leaves. "Oh, and your mother wanted to talk to you,"

Jade:

Eladia laughs, her hands folded behind her back, her chin held high.

"You were right around the corner. You overheard, didn't you?" Eladia states as a matter of fact, "You heard my son declare you as his pathetic mate,"

"I-I-I," I stammer, but she glares at me with a look of warning, "Don't lie to me," it says.

"Tell me, do you love him?" she questions.

"No, ma'am," I answer, most honest.

"Really now," Eladia inquires again, her eyes narrowing. She approaches, so I drop my gaze to the floor. I can feel her eyes, burning two holes into me.

"No, Misses Lakefall. I feel nothing towards him," I answer again. I feel not love, but burning hate. I hate how he stares at me. I hate how he towers over me. And I hate how he makes me shake with fear, afraid for my life. Suddenly Eladia slammed me against the wall, her hand around my neck.

"Listen, you pitiful human. I want you to stay away from my son," Eladia reminds me, "Humans for years have done nothing but slaughter us, judge us, and even enslave," she recalls, "How the tables have turned. Now you're a lowly pitiful servant," Eladia sneers. I risk a glimpse of her eyes, burning golden amber, "I can't think of a reason why I shouldn't kill you here and now. Might my pity save you from my hand, tearing you apart," she snarls at me.

"Thank you," I whisper. A hard slap to the face me fills me with regret. Perhaps I should have held my tongue. Eladia presses me against the wall.

"Remember your place, and if you ever try to get close to Hunter, you'll only find yourself in pieces. He's to be the alpha of this pack. Not the mate of some despicable human," Eladia threatens. She lets me go, and I just about collapse to the ground. As soon as she leaves, Edmund and Chery rush to my side.

"Are you okay?" Chery blurts out.

"I'm fine, let's just put dinner together," I say, "Really, I'm fine," I assure them. The two look to each other and start discussing dinner, but I keep silent.

Hunter:

My mother saunters out of the kitchen, her smug face smirking. I glance into the kitchen. Jade stands frozen, stunned as Chery and Edmund rush to her side. Eladia glances my way and continues on her way. This was her way of lecturing me, too. She wanted me to see her threatening Jade, reminding me what they could do to her. I put my head against the wall, feeling the rough stone scape against my skin. The more I want her, the more my parents threaten her, and the more our lives are threatened. But if I leave her be, life continues on. Protect her Hunter, I must protect her. My fist slides over my heart. I nod my head, confirming my decision. I must leave her alone, that will keep her safe.