Competitor

I have Eric take Jade and Morgan home. All I want is to tell Vincent the things that have happened, but Lilly disagrees. She'd rather I leave this unspoken of. Either Lilly's embarrassed to have been beaten by a human, or the awkwardness arose between us. A sense of dread fills my gut. I sit down just as Chery's serving dinner.

"Miss Chery," Eladia begins.

"Yes, M-Miss Lakefall," Chery inquires, her eyes focused on the table.

"This is burnt," Eladia complains.

"Yes, Lady Lakefall," Chery answers. She bows her head and rushes to the kitchen for a replacement plate. It smells of eggs, meats, and some of the most exquisite cheese that had probably been bought from the village. Following Chery leaving, Edmund and Jade come in with the rest. It smells of meat, cheeses, and spices brought in from town. Her dark brown curls hide her eyes, but for a split second, when she straightens up, I see them. Two pools of light brown hazel pools. Her eyes remain fixed on the plates. For a brief second, those alluring eyes flicker over me and nearly take my breath away.

"So, how's your morning?" Lilly questions. Her eyes fall on me. Her eyes are bright and energetic, but I still remember how they looked yesterday.

"Good, how about you?" I ask. Anger branches through my chest, across my chest. Put it aside. I lean in and peck her on the cheek. The humans disappear into the kitchen, leaving us to enjoy our meals. It'd be nice if it weren't so warm in here. Lilly's foot slides over, nudging mine. I catch her eyes, smiling at me, and I pull my foot away. She averts her eyes, looking disappointed. We both feel it; there is a connection lacking between us.

"Something troubling you?" my father notices.

"It's a little warm," I complain, pulling at my shirt collar.

"Really, it's feeling a little drafty," Suzah disagrees.

"Go for a walk," Eladia suggests.

"Lilly," my father chimes in.

"I-I'm fine. By myself," I stammer. I might be feeling a bit heated, but not for Lilly, not like that. I excuse myself and head for my bedroom. The cold stone walls do little to help the fire of the wolf inside. It burns with anxiety, agitated insomnia that will not quiet. I stumble around the corner, right into Jade. The clumsy girl falls, dropping a couple folded quilts.

"Oh, I'm so sorry, sir!" Jade blurts out accordingly, falling to a bow before me.

"No, it's fine," I shrug her off. I take her hand, her small, soft, warm hand, and help her to her feet. In an instant, my inner wolf surfaces and yanks my consciousness beneath it. It's taking all my will power just to hold still and not do something. What I'd do, I'm not sure. Actually, I'm perplex by this warm, bubbly, almost giddy light in my chest. She blinks blankly at me, her mouth hanging open ajar.

"Just go," I murmur and shove past her to get outside. I need to get some air.

Jade:

I run right into him, Hunter Lakefall.

"No, it's fine," he ignores my clumsy blundering and pulls me up. Not a trace of anger crosses his face, but his gaze remains fixed on me. Those green eyes, they're golden.

"Just go," he dismisses me and pushes me aside into the wall. I brush off the dust and continue my way back to my quarters. My daily chores have been nailed to the board; I'm on bedroom and bathroom work. Among other's duties, there's firewood to be chopped, laundry to be washed, food to be prepared, the kitchen to be cleaned, and Lady Lakefall has someone accompany her throughout the day. What a horrible task. I don't know who might be worse to tend to, Vincent or Eladia. Vincent might beat one to death, but Eladia will break you with her sharp, witty tongue. I shudder, Jade, you have work to do. I head for the bathrooms first. The rooms smell of scented candles, jars of fancy smelling soaps, and perfumes. These are the things I used to ogle and gawk at in the village market. On my way home from my fabric stand, I would stop at Castile's market to browse. They had imported spices and herbs to make their works from countries afar. I return upstairs to find Chase, Eric, and Lilly in the hallway.