Rejection

Jade:

I yawn, stretch, and smoothen out the covers of my cot. Today, I find a fresh pale blue tunic sitting between the bars of my cell. I welcome clean fabric against my skin, fitting for the chilly day. I join Chery to make breakfast before I start for the chore board for the day.

"Miss Jade," I hear my name on his lips. I feel my heart pounding, and my blood runs cold. I turn, my eyes on the floor.

"Yes, sir?"

"I'd like you to come with while I hunt. Bring the leather bag," Hunter decides. I follow along with him. He rolls his neck, joins popping. He flexes his fingers out, claws lengthening as he wiggles his fingers.

"How's your ankle?" Hunter asks.

"Better," I mumble.

"Good, that's good," Hunter sighs. What does he care about? I am but a human, a pitiful human. I keep my distance from him. Suddenly he dashes on ahead. I do my best to keep up with him. Finally, he comes back with some creature, a mess of fur and blood to bring back.

"Is this too heavy?" he questions, but I shake my head.

"Can you speak?" Hunter wonders. I bite my lip, nodding again. He sighs with a worrisome frown wrinkling across his face. He approaches, his feverish hand brushing mine, and he takes the bag away. His green eyes flicker to me. I avert my gaze. Hunter circles around me, like he's trying to meet my gaze, but I keep away. He sighs again, and we begin back for the castle in silence. I can't begin to describe the awkwardness or fear. Whatever game he's pulling, trying to make me think he's kind of nice. I am not about to fall for it.

"How may I be useful?" I wonder.

"Hmm, oh- I- you're dismissed," Hunter decides. I nod all too eager to getaway. I bolt for the basement, and with of all rotten luck, I trip. I yelp, going forward down the stairs. An arm secures me. My eyes blow up wide, and I draw in a sharp intake of air.

"Careful," I hear his voice in my ear. I'm lifted to my feet. I nod, breathless in his arms, him gazing into my eyes.

Hunter:

I feel our hands just lightly touch, but it was only for barely even a second. I found myself wanting that slight touch to last a bit longer. What hurts the most was the way she refuses to look at me and steps away from me. What have I done? I've been so monstrous that she's so afraid she can't even look or be near me. And not just myself, but what have we done? So, I dismiss her from my side. She needs space from me. Even if it pains me to see her bolting from the stairs. Then she trips. How can I not grab her? I can't resist protecting her. I hold onto her in my arms. To have her warmth so close, within reach of my lips, I'm losing my mind.

"Careful," I whisper beside her ear. I pick her up gently, careful not to hurt her. Her eyes gaze into the distant stars. Her body shakes, breathlessly stunned. Jade simply nods and disappears downstairs. I back off once more to give her space. It hurts, watching her fear me.

"Hunter, my boy," Vincent calls.

"Yes, father?" I inquire, "What do we need to talk about now?"

"Alright," I say, gazing around the room.

"Upstairs," Vincent directs me. I nod, staring for an answer, but he turns for the living room. My brows furrow together. I head for the stairs, heading for Lilly's room, pausing at my bedroom.

"Lilly?" I start.

"Hunter, come in, my little Hunter on the prowl," she calls from the edge of my bed. Her clothes lie folded on my dresser on the other side of the room.

"Come here," she whines, gesturing for me.

"Um... I-... I-," I stutter like an idiot. She crawls off the bed to greet me. I press my back to the door. I avert my eyes. Her lips trace down my neck to my shoulder as she leans into me. A delicate hand trails up my arm to my chest. I can't do this.

"Lilly," I complain, and she whines at me.

"I really don't feel comfortable with this," I begin.

"Then let's lay down," Lilly breathes, trying to pull me toward the bed, but I won't budge.

"I don't feel well, please, not now," I beg. The room is sweltering, reeking of too many strong, scented candles

"Don't do this to me," Lilly pleads, "I'm your mate, I've been waiting so long," she exaggerates. Irritation starts to bubble up.

"I can't do this," I push her off, "I need air," I whisper, and I leave her where she stands. I start for the kitchen for a fresh glass of water. I grab a pitcher and fill it straight from the water jar and begin to chug. Someone enters the kitchen. I don't need to find his scent to know it's my father. Everyone knows those heavy footsteps.

"Well that was quick," Vincent comments, "You two make a fine pair,"

"Yeah... right," I agree, forcing a nervous chuckle.

"So, I take it Lilly's happy?" Eladia questions, "Her happiness will win us favor with the Brooks," she adds.

"Yeah, very happy. We c-c-couldn't b-be happier," I stammer. My nerves, I'm losing my composure.

"Hunter, son. What's wrong. You look like you're going to be ill," father starts, coming to my side. I feel his hand land on my shoulder.

"Do-don't touch me," I snap without meaning to. I take in a deep breath, but the fever is rising.

"Tell me, son, what is the matter with you. I would think you'd be in a better mood after you two bonded," Vincent starts, confusion crossing his face.

"Vincent? Hunter- Hunter, what's the matter?" Eladia comes in, hearing the commotion, "Where's Lilly?"

"She is not my mate. My wolf rejects her," I declare.

"You've been trying to force her on me, but she's not my true mate," I start, "Jade is. My wolf, I want Jade," I admit. Oh, I've done it now. There's no going back. I take off from the room, heading outside for the yard. The door opens again. Now, who is it? Eric or Lilly.

"I knew it, my sister was not your true mate," Suzah states. I stopped walking, my heart pounding. I feel someone's hand on my shoulder.

"It's me," Suzah suggests.

"I beg your pardon?" I scoff at her.

"Make me your Luna, make me the next Alpha," Suzah begs.

"Piss off, all you want is dominance," I sneer, "You want to be alpha, challenge your sister, but I want nothing to do with you,"

"So maybe I'll tell her?" Suzah suggests.

"You will do no such thing," I snap at her.

"Oh, and give me a reason why I should hold my tongue," she shoots.

"Because you will remember your place and stay out of our affairs," I snarl at her.

"You can't keep secrets for long. So, enjoy your safe little fantasy, little Hunter, but soon the truth will spill, and your world will come crumbling down," Suzah warns. I turn my back on her leaving her laughing to haunt me.