New Surroundings

I awake startled by a new room, a prison cell, to be exact. I scan the room, the cot I lay on, and my smoke-soaked clothes, but Morgan's gone. In the corner, I spot a pail of water, and I make a dive for it. My smoke scorched throat aches for relief, and my relief is dirty room temperature water. God, it tastes like dirty rainwater ladled up off the street. Something creaks down the hall like a wooden door. Someone in that direction clears their throat, a gruff, deep-chested cough.

"So, the human is awake now," a growl comes from that direction. Oh, dear, just where am I now? A man comes striding down the hall. It may only be a glimpse, but this isn't the man I saw last night. This is someone else with a menacing wolf-eyed stare. Her take the lock to the cell in one giant hand, unlocks it, and steps in the doorway.

"Wolf," I whisper to myself. His pointy, furry ears twitch, and his long face says nothing. "P-please don't hurt me," I beg softly.

"I won't have to hurt you if you behave," he chuckles, but his amusement does little to ease my nerves, "I am Vincent Lakefall. You will refer to me as Sir Lakefall or Master," he growls, his eyes narrow on me.

"Y-y-yes s-sir," I stutter, "Sir, where is Morgan, the girl that was with me?"

"The little girl who came in earlier, she is safe," he answers, eyeing me most suspiciously. I offer a small smile, hoping to seem more pleasant and not some nuisance to get rid of. Vincent tosses in a fresh set of clothes to replace mine. My clothes are covered in soot, dirt, and stains.

"Get dressed. I don't have all day," Vincent orders. I watch him, waiting as he turns his back for me to change. I clench my jaw, staring at him for a few moments to make sure he won't look during change. The clothes aren't as lovely, but at least I know it's honest, not just a quiet bribe. It's a simple tunic, nothing luxurious or all that warm.

"You will be doing work. Probably similar to your work for those barbarians. I expect you will obey," Vincent begins, and he turns on me. I back up flat against the wall. His fist slams into the stone wall. My jaw drops, and I gasp. I swear he was going to strike me. I take a deep, shaky breath.

"Do obey, or the consequences will be severe," Vincent snarls, "Understand?" he roars. I nodded my head, unable to breathe or say anything. Vincent backs off. I watch his face straighten up into a human's face again, and he storms off. Still shaking, my eyes circle around the room for something to start with. I assume a spot at the table to knead and mix the dough. The one nearest to me notices my eagerness to jump into work.

"Hi, you're the new person?" she guesses. Her heart-shaped face is framed by ear-length, short blonde hair.

"Yes, I'm Jade," I reply.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Chery Adly," she introduces herself as she works, "Welcome to the Lakefall Territory, they own the land here and the nearest village, "Chery informs me. So, we can't be far from my home village. That also means we're not that far off from the barbarian's farm.

"The man that sent me here said his name was Vincent Lakefall. Do you mean I'm in the house of their alpha?" I wonder, and she nods in confirmation. She drops her gaze to the dough in her hands, working it with small hands. She has a slightly pointy nose but a soft face.

"And I suppose it should be an honor, but I must say the main family is just about the cruelest pack of wolves there are," some guy sneers, a rather tall with messy tousled brown hair and brown eyes.

"Edmund! You'll get yourself in trouble," Chery warns. Edmund merely rolls his amused eyes, a mischievous smirk spreading below light freckles. He makes a comment under his breath, and Chery shakes her head.

"Hi, I'm Edmund, Edmund Hemm," the boy introduced himself.

"I'm Jade Atwood," reply.

"Are we all from the village?" I wonder.