Pettiness

My back is sore when I awaken. The kitchen duties are on my list for this morning. I pray they keep me in the kitchens. Better here than out in the rest of the house with them, the wolves. Plus, Edmund and Chery are here for me. I can't rush to their sides fast enough, already buzzing with talk of yesterday.

"He what? If anyone should be torn limb from limb its Hunter," Edmund threatens. Chery puts a gentle hand on his shoulder,

"Please calm down, you're going to get in trouble one day," Chery scolds him again for his violence. He shakes his fist at the air with quite the stern look on a young boy's face.

"You mean he hasn't already?" I take a jab at him.

"Well, he did once for telling Vincent his rules were a load a cow-patties," Chery recalls, and Edmund's face goes beet red.

"Well, he was asking for it," Edmund reasons, rubbing the back of his neck. Chery gives me a look with a giggle, and we roll our eyes.

"You are something else," I can't help but laugh with her.

"Alright, here we are," Eric pops in the kitchen, and I freeze up.

"Thank you, Eric, we'll get started on lunch," Chery calls over her shoulder. Even Edmund gives a nod of acknowledgment without even a sarcastic muttering under his breath. I watch him stroll through the kitchen until he leaves. Here I thought no wolves would waltz into the kitchen. I thought it a safe place, but there that hope goes.

"What was that? Does he like humans?" I scoff, shaking my head at the very idea that. It's absurd to think a wolf would like a human. Then again, the moment I walk in, Morgan comes running up to me.

"Eric is a long-time friend of the Lakefall family. He's Hunter's left-hand man, but he is kind and merciful," Chery explains.

"Well then," I scoff. Guess that explains Eric's kindness the other night. "And he hides it from the main family?" I inquire, still not sure of him.

"He does it to protect himself and us. They would call him weak and unfit. He'd become an outcast, and then who would be here to show us the kindness he does?" Chery adds as we work on lunch. Today, they'll be feasting on a wild boar they caught with a few guests. We peer in, careful to stay unnoticed so that Chery can't point out who is who.

There was a girl with dark, dirty, blonde hair and blue eyes, her name is Suzah Brook. She's from a neighboring pack, visiting with her sister, Lilly. Suzah's dress is slightly loose, the neckline off her shoulders, and rather low. It's clear she's trying, making little fleeting, unreturned glances across the table, but I can't figure out to whom.

"She's a kind leader I hear," Chery whispers in my ear. Sitting with them is Eric's brother, Chase Schaedler. Both fairly tall, broad foreheads and tapering. Chase has a pointier chin and darker, neat hair. My nerves tense up when I approach the table. Eladia is watching expecting perfection. She's dressed like a young princess. At her neck she wears a delicate pink ribbon. Matching the ribbon is her dress that falls to the floor. It's a young look for her likes. First, I have is for Hunter. My arms shake with anxiety. What if I make him mad? I risk a glance. Hunter's shocking green eyes don't give me a moment's glance. The brightness in them before has left them, leaving a faded look of exhaustion. I continue on my way around the table, looking to Chery for assurance. Everyone is watching us like we're vermin. I rub my shaking hands once in the kitchen. The heat of the ovens brings me some comfort.

"Miss Jade fetch the cider!" Eladia calls. I hurry into the room again with a jug of apple cider. It smells of warmth, fall, and the fire of spices. I pour their glasses with trembling hands. Everyone stares expecting and impatient, yet one stares with such an intense stare. It's driving me near insane. The trembling won't stop. The cider I drop. The glass explodes into tiny shards. Without any disregard, I try to retrieve the broken pieces. They stick to my hand, a few cutting and drawing scratches. Upon my shoulder falls someone's large hand. I gasp and look up into the eyes of Hunter towering over me. I stare, mouth hanging open ajar.