XIII.

Seeing the familiar horse-shaped pin made you queasy. Emma could only tighten her grip on your arm, nervous as you were. You both had continued to great guests, not bothering to pay attention to who said what or who was who. Two people, a tall woman in a dress and another in a bright green suit stood out. 

"Hi! I'm Laury, and this is my partner Jen, we both own LGBT News and wanted to ask to have a photo and quick interview?" Laury, the woman in the suit said. 

Her partner, Jen smiled, extending a hand. "Always great to see two extra queens today." 

The remark made you smile and Emma shook her hand, smiling as well.

"Of course, what would you like to ask?" You noticed she feigned happiness as your mind was still stuck with the possibility that someone from a hidden cult was lurking around. 

"So, girl to girl, was it love at first sight? Any more secret getaways?" Jen pried. 

Jen and Laury weren't the last to interview you both that day, and you didn't even remember exactly what you said. The Countess noticed the way you both were acting and interrupted a conversation with a Duke and Duchess to take you both away. After you two were shut into a separate suite, she turned to you both.

"You two seem rather off, which we can play as being tired from a big day, but what is going on?" She said sharply as a few people entered, handing you a rose gold colored suit and Emma a champagne pink gown to change in for the evening. 

"Why was that man wearing a horse head pin?" Emma asked, making the Countess pale. 

"What does a pin have to do with anything?" She asked, snapping her fingers, and the team that came to dress and do your makeup leaving instantly. 

"It matters because we know about the history of it with the ex-queen." You snap. 

The Countess is silent for a moment before sighing and rubbing the bridge of her nose, she stepped closer to you as Emma was behind a changing curtain. 

"These are guards that have protected the royal family of Moorbourough Territories for generations, it's a wedding of the Queen of course they would be here." She said though the tone of her voice suggested that something else was meant to be said. 

"But-" You started and the Countess raised a hand to silence you. 

"I'm going to tell the both of you this before you two get into trouble sneaking about, I didn't want to mention anything but I fear I have to to keep you both safe." 

Emma had already emerged, looking flawless with her hair down, her crown fitting snuggly on her head. 

"Keep us safe how?" She crossed her arms as you held the suit tighter, feeling a few of the gems that were sewn into the collar dig into your skin. 

"The Queen was indeed murdered, but we don't know by whom, we do have our suspicions it was an inside job by the Council but they do run Moorbourough, especially during your absence, and now that you have returned and have wed we need to keep you both in the good graces of them. Why do you think my husband and I hired all those tutors? I knew miss Emma Watson that you would be the one to look for trouble and now your wife, Miss [Y/N] [L/N] would do the same." She explained. 

"Why would we get into trouble for looking into the history of my kingdom?" Emma retorted but played it off cooly, hoping that the Countess would spill. 

"There are suspicions of treason, but that died out long ago. I'm only going to say this once and that is to stop looking into the past and look forward to the future, you both have a country to rule and do you have any idea how hard it is to bribe tabloids and maids to keep quiet about you two digging into the past queen?" 

You and Emma looked at each other, there were already people who knew exactly what you two were doing and the Countess was paying them hush money. 

"Does this have anything to do with the Masons?" You ask. 

Countess Duchamp sighed, "I don't know, I told you what I already know, I need this to end here, and this conversation never happened, got it?" 

You both nodded, Emma, glaring. 

"Now, my Queen please change into your suit for the evening, you have guests." 

The Countess walked farther into the suite, leaving you both alone. 

"I don't like this." You whisper as Emma helped undo your gown to get an excuse to talk to you privately. 

"Neither do I, but she admitted what we already knew, the Queen was murdered but if she has known what we have been doing entirely and others do as well, we need to find someone who works here and see if we can get more information out of them." She says as you finished getting dressed. 

"I know just the guy." You say. 

Both of you had left before the Countess noticed, you two ran straight for Tyrell. 

"What can I do you for my Queens?" He asked, you noticed something gold under his jacket.